Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,671   Online: 757

Shooter
    35mm

Exposure compensation for B&W for tungsten lighting.

I have managed to convince a client to shoot 4x5 b&w for a job instead of digital. (Yeah!!!!) The location dictates I use tungsten (approx 2900K) Are any exposure adjustments needed for spectral sensitivity? The film I have on hand is Efke PL 100 (probably too slow, as I have a human subject)
    J&C 200 & 400, and Tmax 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Going to depend on the film I bet. I sort of remember Forte gaining speed while most films lose speed.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All I can remember is that Forte 100 and Ilford FP4+ will gain a little speed, most others will hold speed or lose a little, except EFKE 25 and 50 which will lose a lot.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It also depends on your meter's sensitivity to infrared light.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    It also depends on your meter's sensitivity to infrared light.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com
    Love your work Kirk.

What would my meter's infrared sensitivity have to do with it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    despite manufacturers, charts, and all branches of science, give at least an extra half stop

i'd go with TMY, and just give a little extra exposure... it's long straight line means extra exposure doesn't alter contrast

and, of course, test ahead
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Love your work Kirk.

What would my meter's infrared sensitivity have to do with it?
    Thanks for the comments on my photos!

All meters react to different colors differently. Simplistically, you can think of the meter being reactive to 5 light ranges - the 3 you are probably used to thinking about - red, green, and blue. But then it will also have some sensitivity to ultraviolet and infrared.

The warmer the tungsten light, the more IR there is in the light (and the less blue and green there is, and almost no UV). If your meter is sensitive to the IR, then the warmer the light source, the more the IR will affect the meter. It will give higher readings than if the meter is not as sensitive to IR.

It's the same kind of issue as the film's spectral response.

Kirk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For tonal range, I'd go with the Efke, and avoid the TMY all together (JMO). Congratulations on convincing someone that film is better than digital any day! Especially shooting 4x5.

I used to shoot HP5+ for portraits, and this may work for you....there's something about the way Ilford downplays skin blemishes. I used TMY on Maui for a portrait shoot, and the results were awful (client brought it to me). Good thing I'd loaded HP5+ as a safety in the opposite side of the holder.

Just my $0.02, best of luck.

Rolleijoe

Shooter
    35mm

Update

Well, its a done deal and I'm looking at good negs. I decided to purchase some TriX and go with that. Shot a couple for the meter and the rest one stop over. Processed in Pyrocat. They are all in scan range, however the 1 stop over would print better.

Thanks everyone for your advise. The conclusion is that a one stop over exposure is appropriate for TriX under tungsten. On the meter sensitivity note, I took all my meters (5 incident and two spot) and they all agreed within 1/3 stop. (which is all they ever do)

Thanks everyone for your advise.
    Chalk one up for the film freaks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin