Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,026   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As shown by the discussion so far, there are various ways to approach doing close-ups. In many cases, most perhaps, the exact magnification ratio is unimportant. You set up and compose as your eye suggests, allowing the magnification, and bellows extension, to fall where they may. Using either the Quick Disc (or, commercial equivalents) or the formula gives the exposure compensation needed.

In other cases, you may want the magnification to be more precise - exactly 1:1, for example. In that case, you might start by setting the bellows extension at 2x the (real) focal length, and positioning the camera at 2x the focal length from the desired focus plane, adjusting lateral and vertical positioning to get the desired composition. In such a case, the 4x or 2-stop exposure adjustment is already set by the 2x bellows extension.

In either case, I think it is best to meter by whatever method you've already proven to work for you - either reflective or incident. Then, make the exposure adjustments according to the selected method (disc or formula). By using your "standard" metering technique, you avoid introducing yet another variable into the process.

What I've found handy when using the disc (I actually use the commercial version from Calumet), is to make a loop of (partially de-stickyfied) masking tape, so I can put that on the back of the target/disc and stick it to something in the scene (the primary focus point). Some care in placement is needed to ensure that it is square to the lens axis, of course.

FWIW, the Rodenstock DOF calculator wheel (available from the usual retailers) also provides close-up exposure compensation info, and is handy to keep in the camera case. Mine sits in the same pouch as my small metric tape measure.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    . . . The beauty is that it does not have to be face-on to the camera: it can be at any angle; you just measure it along it's longest axis on the gg screen.
    I don't think that is quite true, Bob. One axis of the target needs to be square to the lens axis, otherwise the measurement will be off.

But, considering all of the other variables (e.g. shutter-speed accuracy), great precision isn't really required in most cases.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    I don't think that is quite true, Bob. One axis of the target needs to be square to the lens axis, otherwise the measurement will be off.
    That's why the QuickDisc is round. However you turn it, it's just as wide.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use the quickdisc for marco shots. Apart from the info on bellows extention, it is also perfect for focussing on the exact plane you choose to.

If you got problems to place the quickdisc where you want to but find it physically impossible, use a desctop lamp with moving arm and stick the QD on it.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    Eddym: That calculation works for me- pretty simple to remember. How come you use an incident meter? Any particular reason?
    Mostly because most of my closeup work with 4x5 is done in a studio with flash, so I use a Minolta Flashmeter III to take incident readings. It's dead accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Calumet closeup device is IIRC a square, so you would need to have one edge parallel, but the Quickdisc is, well, a disc, so is readable in any orientation.
    (http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/index.html) I printed it out and laminated it.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And you could use a third hand to hold the quick disc. They're available at hobby shops or Radio Snack. They're used to hold small items together for soldering.
    Small metal base w/2 alligator clips.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    That's why the QuickDisc is round. However you turn it, it's just as wide.
    A QuickSphere would be obvious, but a tilted and turned disc can be easily misleading.

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a toothpick that I used with my quickdisc. I put the tip of one end in the disc then I can put the toothpick in the shrubs when I shoot flowers. I direct you again to Donalds method, after using it I threw away the disc as it's so much easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin