Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,839   Posts: 1,582,470   Online: 764

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

5 degree Spot Meter

I am currently looking at the Polaris Dual 5 meter which is an ambient and flash meter but also has a 5 degree spot meter.

Would a 5 degree spot meter have a small enough angle of view to be effective?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A meter with a 5 deg angle of view is perfectively effective in measuring the reflectance of areas that subtend angles of 5 degrees.

Actually, you don't need a spot meter. You can use an ordinary averaging meter. If you want to measure the light in a small area, all you have to do is walk up to the subject to make the reading.

Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of convenience. A meter with a 5 degree spot capability is not as convenient as a 1 deg meter when it comes to metering small areas. On the other hand, my 1 deg meter does not have flash metering capability. You pay your money and take your choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my opinion, a 5° spot meter should be renamed a "blob meter" - the 5° is just too large to do the things for which spot meters are good. You can't always walk closer to make the 5° work.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    I have the original Polaris meter. I have the 10 degree attachment for it and use it. It works just fine. True, you won't be able to meter the smallest little area in the scene but it has never hindered me. You learn to work within your limitations. The Polaris is a great meter for the money. I'll put mine up against any meter, no matter the cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the original Polaris also. The 10 degree attachment is an option but my supplier has offered me a reasonable trade-in for the 5 degree model.

How much did you pay for the 10 degree attachment r-brian?

Thanks
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    I have the original Polaris also. The 10 degree attachment is an option but my supplier has offered me a reasonable trade-in for the 5 degree model.

Thanks
    Peter
    I also have the original Polaris, with the 10 degree attachment. Even replaced it when I lost the 1st one. The attachment was $50 USD from Calumet. While I feel it to be a dandy meter, I now use a Pentax Spot V (1 degree) for most metering and can see difference in the prints....of course your mileage may vary.

If it were me, I would spend the extra $ on a spot meter vs the upgrade..Hope this helps
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz

Thanks
    Peter

Peter

I bought my 10 degree attachment probably 6 years ago when they first came out. Also bought it from the camera store where I used to work so I got it for cost, about $35, the retail price was about $54.

Brian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin