Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,915   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also keep one in the bag but don't take it out much. Usually the effect is too dramatic, but occasionally it works. I use medium yellow and orange much more often.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I have to add that I had a red #29 red filter for many years, and probably never found any reason to use it. I got it originally after reading Ansel talk about his famous photo of half dome using the #29. The red #29 required three stops of compensation, while the red #25 requires two stops-much more practical. My favorite filter is an orange filter, but I do have a red #25 now also.
    I agree with most posters that the red filter tends to be a little exreme in many situations (but not all).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it could stand to be said that like with many equipment related questions, there has to be a disclaimer made about the applications of said bit of kit. Fretting too much over a 23 or a 25 or what have you is kind of like spending too much time trying to decide on a given lens or a camera body - I think the best apporach is to realize that a) there is no clear cut right or wrong and b) especially in this case, the difference is subtle and probably can't be definitively judged one way or another and finally c) you should try one for yourself with a specific result in mind and see how it fits your needs and expectations.
    The last thing I would suggest is doing what I did as a beginner - I went out and bought a bunch of filters and started sticking them on my cameras with no particular end in mind hoping to get "something interesting". Having done it, I can tell you that at least in my case, it introduced a whole bunch of variables, and I ended up learning next to nothing, and getting pretty random results, since I didn't know what I was doing to get a particular result, etc. I know that what I did sounds pretty stupid - but, it is easy to get cought up in the excitement of it all and end up with a whole bunch of shots which only leave you with a "well... I got this, but don't ask me how" wehter the "this" is a bad thing or a good thing.
    I guess what I am trying to say in my own, long winded way, is that I would recommend asking yourself "what do I want to accomplish", apply that to some research and your budget, and in the end you will have learned more and spent less. Whatever you do, have fun and best of luck,

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow, I really didn't expect this sort of feedback! I never get this sort of help on any of the digital photography forums! I think I'm going to like it here

Thanks for the tips everyone! Maybe I will hold off on the filter for a bit. I'm still getting the hang of black and white film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with most of the others, an orange is more useful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did he say digital forums?!! Well if you are undecided about which tone of contrast filter to choose, have a look at the B+W site.

B+W filters

Most people choose between red, orange and yellow, but B+W seem to have the market sussed for those who like to tweak! Personally I've have gone off my 25 red as it turns the greens in landscapes a mucky grey colour.

So I've recenty purchased a red orange filter (041) which shouldn't be so severe, plus it was going cheap on feeBay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin