Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,224   Online: 971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

B+W photography: 23A vs 25A red filters

I'd like to get a red filter to give my black and white photos an extra bit of "umph" and was wondering what the differences between these two filters were. The 23A seems to be recommended more, but the 25A looks like it's more readily available. Suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems to me that the 25A filter is the most common red filter. It gives very strong results - as in, it is easy to really over-do it with one. Having said that, I would not be without mine - but only along with a yellow and an orange filter. They all have their place, and have to be used with some "control", especially the reds. This is the reason why you may have seen the 23 recommended over the 25 - its lighter, therefore has more subtle results on your pictures. My personal take on it is to look for a decent set of filters that fit your lenses and get a 25 red, an orange and a yellow - that should give you all the choices you will need at first. I also enjoy a polarizer, and sometimes combine a red and a polarizer to get even more dramatic results - but again, its easy to get very corny, overdone results that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    #25s seem to be one of the most widely available used filters out there. I think it's because everybody thinks they need a 25 but few ever end up keeping them.

Buy one used if you want. Should be able to get one for a fraction of the new price.

OTOH get yourself a #21 also. Try both and see which you like better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget about processing! Take the time to do development tests around you filter of choice. It is the best way to deal with the benefits of filtration. Just as you will have to compensate around the filter when taking the shot, don't forget the other end. Best, tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A K2 (yellow aero) is also a good one to have in the bag for a subtle darkening of the blue sky; sometimes its just the right touch...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, many buy a 25 and then find that it is over kill and the results look too theatric. A yellow or an orange may be a better choice. Also, don't overlook a green filter which will emphasize clouds while also lightening foliage.
    Last edited by Gerald Koch; 03-20-2006 at 01:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends on where you are shooting. If you are in NJ and it is humid out even a red filter will hardly get you a sky. I am pretty happy with a yellow filter most of the time in NM.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with avandesande about a yellow filter in the southwest. Usually plenty for most things. The red tends to be too much of a good thing, unless atmospheric haze, humidity, dust is really too strong. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the 23A was the filter Ansel used.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    In twenty five years I have used a 25 Red about twice...and that was about twenty four years and six months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin