Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 723

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiffen OK OR ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Multicoating on filters is fine but it adds to the cost and I haven't really found it to do much good if you're shooting into a bright light source. The older multicoatings were fragile and scratched easily. B+W's multicoating seems more sturdy so, if you gotta have a multicoated filter, go with B+W. But get ready to pay a premium. On the other hand, I doubt you'll be using a dark yellow filter when you're shooting brightly backlit subjects so you'll likely be okay without multicoating.

Tiffen makes excellent quality standard filters. I've used them for over 20 years and they stack up as good as the more expensive brands when it comes to doing what filters do--which is be flat, the right color and consistent. I remember when Tiffen would custom build filters to your order--I had a couple of CC filters made for me when I used large format cameras and didn't want to fool with gels.

Tiffen's current mounting rings are aluminum and might not always thread as smoothly as the more expensive filters with brass rings. Brass rings are nice. My most recently purchased filters are all non-multicoated B+W's simply because they only cost a little more than Tiffen and they had brass rings. If the Tiffen filters had cost significantly less, I would have bought them.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about Hakuba? Is it available outside of Japan? It's like Tiffen, kind of amateurish and cheap but good. Its MC UV filter is about 8 USD.

I was using B+W filters when I was living in the U.S. But now in Japan, I've never seen it in any stores. So, every time I buy a new used lens for my cameras, I choose a Hakuba UV filter to go with it, which can be found everywhere and very convenient.

The quality is, I've shot many pictures with it but never noticed any extra flare, etc. For black and white images, I don't see any problems with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot to add, Hakuba UV filter ring is brass, I think. It's lighter than a B+W UV filter, but the material used for the ring looks and feels the same. I doubt if it's aluminium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We used to carry Hakuba at the store I worked in here in Montana, I shot them and never felt they were bad..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    How about Hakuba? Is it available outside of Japan? It's like Tiffen, kind of amateurish and cheap but good.
    I've got one. I bought in Australia when I broke my good 82mm B+W slim polarizer - ouch!!
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I built my 35mm system it was built around Zeiss optics. When it came time to buy filters I did not want to compromise the optics by putting inferior glass in front of it. My research then (10 years ago) led me to B+W because they were not film sandwitched between glass but the filters are 100% filter. By this I mean the filter is extruded as a glass lava and sliced like bread into size for grinding and polishing to final size. The mounts are brass and they will seize up occasionally but cuddling with a warm hand will allow them to relax and separate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    When is Heliopan only a little more then Tiffen?
    Rounding off B&H prices, Tiffen, Hoya, B+W, and Heliopan
    are 38, 45, 52, and 62 dollars. All are the least expensive
    versions. So, Hoya a little and B+W some what more.

I've several B+Ws in 62mm for my Bronica and a few
    Hoyas and misc. in 77mm for my Mamiya RB 67. The
    Hoyas handle as well as the B+Ws in my opinion.

I can take a little more reflection off a front surface
    but wish internal flare be at a minimum. Internal flare
    reduces contrast. I'm seldom shooting into the light
    and think internal flare is likely little or no problem.

So, the winner, a first one in many years, the Tiffen
    77mm #15 Dark Yellow; $31 from the West Coast
    supplier Freestyle. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    ... B&H, an APUG sponsor, has ...
    Not to pick nits, but...

B&H is a great photo candy store, but I don't see them listed as a sponsor.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    Not to pick nits, but...

B&H is a great photo candy store, but I don't see them listed as a sponsor.
    Whoops! Sorry. Were they in the past? Maybe it's just that they get mentioned so often in postings...

I'll edit to correct.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I hope no one smashes me in the head for this one but...

What about the Ritz brand filters? I thought they were made by Hoya. I only have a polarizer at work and it seems okay. For my tastes, I prefer to use B+W, but I only own 2 and one I got for free.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin