Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,264   Posts: 1,680,792   Online: 757

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiffen OK OR ?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tiffen OK OR ?

I should have a dark yellow filter. With a light
    yellow I've too much sky density. Tiffen is least
    expensive. Hoya and Heliopan are not much more.

They all make dark yellows by one number or
    another. I probably should have a coated filter
    although I've read they scratch easier and
    are tougher to clean. Opinions? Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Heliopan and B+W have better rings that are less likely to cause problems with cross threading, and the new coatings are also scratch resistant. They are also dyed in the mass, rather than glass-gel sandwiches, which can separate over time (a long time usually--like 30+ years) and are more prone to fading. I think they're worth it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with David, it never hurts to use the best quality that you can afford, especially if it is something you will use frequently. Heliopan and B+W are much better quality.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Tiffen filters which are not coated. If you point the camera directly into the Sun, they will flare up. If multicoating is important to you, Tiffen is not what you want. Otherwise, I do find them to be high quality glass filters with strong metal rings. I hope that helps!
    Jacob

Shooter
    35mm
    If you do lots of black and white and have just one filter size, then get B+W MRC. You really won't regret having done so. They also don't make their filter rings from aluminium like almost everybody else.

However, beyond the basics, Tiffen has a very extensive set of filters (also as graduates) which are also available in P-series, Lee and other sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I plan to eventually buy some B+W filters (only the ones I use the most of), but I've bought some Tiffen Series 6 filters to get me through until I can afford the others. Why? Because I wanted to try some filters on certain shots and the full set of B+W filters would cost me upwards of $150.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Heliopan is not much more I'd buy Heliopan. OTOH did I miss this? When is Heliopan only a little more then Tiffen? On the other other hand. Tiffen makes a few things nobody else does anymore. Also for seldom used stuff the Tiffens are fine. If the prices are close I'd spring for the Heliopan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]"If you do lots of black and white and have just one filter size, then get B+W MRC. You really won't regret having done so. They also don't make their filter rings from aluminium like almost everybody else."[/COLOR]

Can you tell me what the filter rings are made of? I was looking for some brass rings but I don't think they are made anymore. I recently had some eyeglasses made by a Hoya system. They are really bad because they smudge and are very very hard to clean. I am going back to Verilux. I have some Hoya filters from 30 years ago that I bought new and they are in great shape. Bad eyeglasses good filters!

Where is the best place to buy filters today?

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Filters all have an immense profit margin ( to make up for insanely small profit a shop can make on hardware... ) and it is up to the dealer how much they choose to sell their filters for. B&H is a good place to buy good filters.

Over the years, some makers have cheapened their product, some have improved it. Tiffen has become quite overpriced for their value, if you think about what you pay for B&W & Heliopan ( at B&H ) or Tiffen ( locally ). Tiffens tend to come in need of a good cleaning as well.

Nikon continues to make fine filters, and they can be picked up cheaply on Ibuy.

And Leica filters are wonderful, especially if you get them used.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B+W and Heliopan filters have brass rings, so don't stick like aluminum and plastic.

B&H has good prices on B+W and Heliopan. If you buy officially imported B+W in the US, they used to come with a lifetime guarantee, and may still. Heliopan has a lifetime guarantee. I had a B+W circular polarizer replaced for free when it developed edge separation after 12 years.

The B+W catalog is available at: http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte...aphy/handbook/
    and has lots of good technical info.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 03-24-2006 at 06:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected info about B&H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin