Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,116   Online: 787

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Exposure With Barrel Lenses

Apart from "winging-it" with a Packard shutter, how are the Jim Gallis of the world making decent images with barrel lenses? Given the burgeoning interest in ultra large format and its attendant expense, I am amazed that there is so little information on this subject.

Flauvius

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While ULF isn't my cup-o-tea, I do occasionally use barrel lenses. My opinion is that, since small stops are usually the norm, neutral density and/or other filters are easy to use to get exposure into the one second or more range. No shutter necessary, just a lens cap. Exposures of one or more seconds are easy to accurately time, too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In years past, lens caps worked with very slow film and reciprocity was not an issue as it is today. Also, the use of a lens cap will certainly introduce camera shake which is more pronounced in larger formats.

So what is it that those of us who use lenses in conventional shutters are missing?

Flauvius

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i use a slr ( series d ) + speed graphic, with working focal plane shutters, so i really don't need to worry about a shutter with my lens ...
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim posted something a while back about using some darkslides as a makshift shutter. It sounded like it should be easy and useful.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius
    Also, the use of a lens cap will certainly introduce camera shake which is more pronounced in larger formats.

So what is it that those of us who use lenses in conventional shutters are missing?

Flauvius

Technique.

A lens cap shutter doesn't HAVE to induce motion.

My Deardorff doesn't mind it a bit.

And a Packard, at it's 1/15 - 1/20 of a second, is more repeatable than a new Copal. ( don't scream until you try it )

Say a sheet of TMY, on a bright sunny day, wants... 1/250 @ f/16.

1/250 @ f/16 = 1/60 @ f/32 = 1/15 (Packard Shutter) and 2 stops of filtration. Pretty easy.

With an unshuttered lens, I like to aim for a 1 second exposure. With a long straight line like TMY, a stop extra exposure isn't noticeable, so I only need to hit between 1 and 3 seconds and that's easy.

60/30/15/8/4/2/1 = 7 stops = easy with a couple ND filters.

It's even easier in lower light. With older films, with serious reciprocity compensation, you can make it work FOR you.

A 1 second exposure needs an additional 1 stop, or 2 seconds.
    A 5 second exposure wants a stop and a half extra, or 7 1/2 seconds.

SO, if you want a one second exposure, reciprocity failure lets you land someplace between 2 and 5 seconds, and you are exceeding accurate.

Again, the whole business of working with a cap, or sock, or hat, or whatever... is a matter of simple technique. Easy. Thank goodness.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius
    Apart from "winging-it" with a Packard shutter, how are the Jim Gallis of the world making decent images with barrel lenses? Given the burgeoning interest in ultra large format and its attendant expense, I am amazed that there is so little information on this subject.

Flauvius
    Packard shutters aren't exactly "winging it". I'm using them with Artar, APO Nikkor, Ektanon, and of course with an acquired from Jim Galli Petzval. Now I do have a lot of lenses in modern, clockwork shutters, but I don't think I ever use a shutter speed faster than 1/30 sec very often. With a bit of practice, getting reasonably accurate slower speeds (1/4, 1/8) is quite easy.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Slow film, small stops, low light and a hat.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at my gallery and my Polarfleece sock shutter:

/www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1767&cat=500&ppuser=1578

Small f stops and shutter speeds ranging from 2 seconds and longer with no camera shake.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have found my Day shutter very handy - clamps on any lens up to about 3 1/2" diameter, gives good bulb-timed speeds to about 1/8 plus an instantaneous speed of about 1/30 and is flash-synced. They were advertised in Britain until at least the mid-1950s, don't see many these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin