Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,827   Online: 956

View Poll Results: What light is most common in your photography?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make mine up front (front lit)

3 3.53%
  • I like it backwards (back lit)

7 8.24%
  • Who said sideways? (side lit)

17 20.00%
  • Any light is alright so long as it isn't midnight.

58 68.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like side lighting, particularly in the early morning, just about sunrise, or just at sunset. It casts a warm glow on the surroundings. Many times I will use an 81A or 81B to enhance that feeling of warmth.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

When I used to do a lot of outdoor portraits, I tried to always do them at magic hour. (1/2 hour before sunset)

The light is incredible and the difference between a highlight and shadow was usually 3:1 or 5:1.

If that wasn't possible I tried to manipulate the light with scrims for subtractive lighting techniques, or use reflectors.

For scenics I always shoot early morning or late in the day.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't discriminate against photons of any wavelength, angularity, quantity, or in their crispness or diffusion of character, or in the state of the atmosphere they are passing through. Anytime is a good time to photograph.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    almost never in direct sunlight.. either dawn (favorite time), dusk, or foggy/overcast days

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both ambient and manipulated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm grateful for whatever I'm given.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format

Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I'm grateful for whatever I'm given.
    In our country you have to Dave, it must be the only country in the world that has four seasons, in one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't really vote on this either. I've shot at 2 AM under normal streetlights, at noon with very bright sun, in the morning with the sun behind me and in front of me and in the evening with the sun behind me and in front of me. I could say all or none of the above.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love the early morning light from just before dawn to a couple of hours after sunrise; or the evening light a couple of hours before dusk to the after glow right after sunset. My camera is normally stored at home or in the trunk of my car between 10AM and 3PM. I also like the early morning fog that we have here in the winters in the swamps in Eastern North Carolina...
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with most things, the answer is: it depends.

If I want to photograph a building that's on the south side of the street, I have to either move within the shadow created by the building, or wait for an overcast day. It doesn't make much sense to photograph a building with the sun shining into your lens.

I love to photograph trees, but only the birch (and others with near-white bark) trees look good in direct sunlight. Darker trees don't seem, to me, to photograph well in direct sun, so I will wait for a cloudy, or even rainy, day.

In general, I would say that I prefer either front light, or non-directional light, depending on the subject and the subject's orientation with regard to the sun.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin