Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,616   Online: 1163

View Poll Results: What light is most common in your photography?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make mine up front (front lit)

3 3.53%
  • I like it backwards (back lit)

7 8.24%
  • Who said sideways? (side lit)

17 20.00%
  • Any light is alright so long as it isn't midnight.

58 68.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Overcast Mostly

I live in Western Oregon, the mid Willamette Valley to be exact.
    Bright overcast, dark overcast... very low contrast 95% of the time. Let's not talk about the 1000 types of rain. That's Winter. For Spring and Fall, the low contrast time moves to about 60% and there is only about 800 different types of rain. Summer is a grab bag, but last of August and first of September are generally high contrast and then I have a choice about lighting.

My preference though is back and low side lighting.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    It would seem, based upon your response, with the possible exception of bands that you prefer low contrast situations. Interesting.
    Perhaps the word prefer is wrong, but many years ago when I explored and fine tuned my exposures using the Zone system I made a point of exploring all daylight, twilight etc lighting situations.

I made a point of shooting in harsh mid-day summer sun, fog, snow scenes in fact all sorts of different lighting conditions, and spent a year shooting one small cast iron bridge, perhaps I should add alongside all my other work.

The outcome was the ability to have sufficient control so that I could make a series of images which included diptychs which could sit on an exhibition wall regardless of the lighting conditions at the time of shooting. What interested me the most was the diptychs where an image made on a sunny contrasty day sat in the same frame as a shot from the same viewpoint etc made in the winter on a foggy day with snow on the ground.

That exercise has meant that years later I still realise what images are possible on days most would write off as total unsuitable for photography.

We don't have the best weather here in the UK, and so it's useful knowing how to make the most of our dank foggy days, although thanks to global warming they are now quite infrequent. Ten years ago fog might not lift for a week !

So back to your supposition, I guess I'd just say that sometimes those low contrast situations are interesting and fruitful photographically, but I shoot in all conditions, and have no preferances.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i am a equal-opportunity photographer.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    35mm
    i'll shoot in any light i can, just need the right film, equipment, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, really, the only light I don't like is the boring overcast sky one we seem to get all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    When I used to do a lot of outdoor portraits, I tried to always do them at magic hour. (1/2 hour before sunset)

The light is incredible and the difference between a highlight and shadow was usually 3:1 or 5:1.

If that wasn't possible I tried to manipulate the light with scrims for subtractive lighting techniques, or use reflectors.

For scenics I always shoot early morning or late in the day.

Michael
    I was taught :

1:2 Children
    1:3 Women
    1:4 Men
    1:5 Politicians

For landscapes I like the low light, either winter or the golden hours, ideally very diffused. But sometimes have to make the best of what is presented.

This morning it was big surf, contra jour. Yesterday nice diffused side modelling of some rugged coastline in the rain.

Shooter
    35mm
    though my favourite light is at sunsent, i shoot at whatever light i have available when the will to shoot something comes. I don't have have much time of my own to be able to choose at what time i'm gonna shoot something i'm thinking about, so i grab what i can get.
    even midnight
    Sandra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If light came packaged in cans, regardless of the brand I would try to use it!

Charlie....................................

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Again hard to categorise and vote. Different light breeds different image types and that is the part I love, being adaptive to the conditions.

Mostly I'm a complete tart. Almost anything will do. But I do prefer a dawn strike when I can manage one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since I'm always shooting outdoors I have no real control over the direction of the light as such. I do tend to prefer overcast days as opposed to bright sun because I feel that direct sunlight is just too harsh 99.9% of the time.
    Richard

siorai.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin