Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,673   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light leak or something else? Need your help.

A few weeks ago I sent out two rolls of Scala and a roll each of Velvia 50 and XP2 Super to the lab and in some of the frames on the processed negatives that came back, there were light patches (please refer to the attached scan). Only the Scala & XP2 rolls had the problem, and in most of the frames in each roll (120 size). All the shots in the Velvia roll came out fine. And as I mentioned, some of the shots in the affected rolls also came out fine. I initially thought that the lab (Duggal in NYC) had messed up, but after thinking about it I am not so sure. Coincidentally, the Scala & XP2 rolls were shot in the same SQ 120 back on a Bronica SQ-A. I purchased this from KEH. The Velvia was shot in a SQ-i back which came with the camera.

My question is: do you think this is a light leak problem with the specific back in question or is it a processing issue? If it is a light leak on the back, why were all the shots not ruined?

Please note that I have only one body and was switching the backs when I wanted to shoot the Velvia.

TIA.

Regards,
    Sanjay

PS: My apologies for the poor scan quality - my scanning skills are non-existent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TL_Light_Leak.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a dark slide light leak to me.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Looks like a dark slide light leak to me.....
    Yep agree. Is the lighttrap where the darkslide go into that back intact ?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did the paper wind up tight on the rolls? Some times the drag fingers get sprung and won't keep the roll tight and will give you wierd light marks here and there. You can bend the fingers out to tighten the wind if you see that problem occuring. You also need to check the seals around the latch and hinges to be sure they are intact. A pinhole might not fog the film unless the sun moves into its field of view.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This definitely not a processing problem! It is a light leak. But where could be a bit of trouble finding it. I have seen similar exposures on loosley wound roll film handled in bright light. I have seen many roll film users remove the roll in noonday sun and grab the tab of the paper backing while holding the spool with thumb and forefinger and pull to cinch up the roll. Not a good idea!
    I am not familiar with Bronica backs, but assume they are similar to Hasselblad. Over the years I have replaced several of these seals, with great success.

Wish I had more to offer, but the streaks did not come from processing!

Charlie..........................

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin