Thanks for all the good advice. I ended up shooting two rolls, one in the EOS (Delta 3200) and one in the Fed (TMZ). The latter roll, I bracketed about half the exposures so I'm optimistic that I'll get at least a few useable shots.
The 'EOS' roll I tried partial metering off faces and also just letting the meter do its thing, so I'll see -- as it happened, the 'stage' lighting was fairly dim but the ambient lighting not as dark as I thought so the lighting was less contrasty than I feared and less likely to fool the meter (I hope).
I'm going to develop tonight in DD-X (I think) and will hopefully be able to scan tomorrow.