Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,659   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Waiting for Light...

After looking at scootermm's (Matt) school house in the gallery and the discussion we started about the light....nice bit of thought there Matt (first day of Winter, not going to ask how you came up with that....would probably make my head hurt ). Anyway, I am currently waiting for the sun to make it's annual trek across the sky - to shoot one of the doors here at home. Like a dummy did not write down the date anywhere and now have to wait.
    Recall reading where Abbott or Bernhard did that very thing for one of their works...saw the light reflecting off of a glass door knob made a note of the date, and a year later photographed it.

So, the question is ......drum roll..... do you every make note of a scene and return to it at a different time of day, month, ,year to photograph the same thing in - the good light?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I do. There is a shot that I have taken once and want to shoot again with a larger format camera. It must be in November and it must be at about 7:00am on a weekday. A cold weekday. There is a Tucson Electric Power coal plant on south Alvernon rd. which blows large clouds of steam out its stack on cold mornings. In mid November the sun rises at just the right point behind the plant to emerge through the steam from behind the main plant building. I have one shot that is...okay but it is 35mm. I want to go back and shoot it with Ektachrome in 4x5. I tried one time on a weekend but the demand for power on Saturday or Sunday is not sufficient for the steam to roll out of the stack in the volume I desire for the shot. It probably is not everyone's idea of an great photo but it is an image that I have wanted to capture since I first saw it when riding my motorcycle to work.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't make notes of that sort, but I rephotograph scenes in different light, wait for light sometimes, and if the light is really good or looks like it will be, there's probably something in the file that's been waiting to be photographed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually jot down exposure, time and date for future reference. This at least tells me what to expect next year. About that TEP plant and shooting. Be careful about getting too close. I tried last year to gain entry, with a letter to one of their officers, for some shooting of an industrail nature. Short version was, no dice. In our post 9-11 world they seem to be a bit twitchy about setting up. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    I usually jot down exposure, time and date for future reference. This at least tells me what to expect next year. About that TEP plant and shooting. Be careful about getting too close. I tried last year to gain entry, with a letter to one of their officers, for some shooting of an industrail nature. Short version was, no dice. In our post 9-11 world they seem to be a bit twitchy about setting up. tim

Yeah, I've thought about that. But the shot I want is an external and if questioned during the shooting I THINK what I was shooting and why would be pretty obvious. The plant building would be a silhouette with no real detail. It is the light above the plant and the steam cloud with rays of the sun coming through that is the shot. But who knows? You might be hearing about some weird dude being arrested with a big funny looking camera outside the power plant one day in November.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    mike you bring up a interesting point. I spend so much time thinking about this sort of thing... most of the time when I shoot a photograph Im really cognizant of the direction the building was constructed, its orientation to the suns path and how sunlight will enter and create shadows and highlights at certain times of day and year.
    I think it has its roots in my Architecture degree from college. I used to spend alot of time in the conceptual stages thinking about the suns path and height in the sky.
    My original comment (in the gallery) was assuming that the longest sun light path would come at the peak in the winter solstice (the sun is at it lowest inrelation to height in the sky during the winter months) that was my deductive reasoning for it.

I really do think a large majority of my photography and the images I see get influenced by the sun and where it would/could be during certain times of day/year.

I have alot of shots I want to revisit in the coming summer months... when the sun is higher in the sky and creates shallower shadows.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    So, the question is ......drum roll..... do you every make note of a scene and return to it at a different time of day, month, ,year to photograph the same thing in - the good light?
    I'm much too lazy.

I tend to take light as I find it. There are so many places to go and photograph, that getting back to any one just never seems to work out.

One exception: I live near White Rock Lake in Dallas. I'm real conscious of the directions and light there. It started when I noticed that there is only a brief time each year (February-ish) when the sun sets directly over the downtown tall buildings from a specific place on the bank. Not satisfied with the shots I took there one year, but haven't been back any subsequent February, either. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I'm going to a "new place" I haven't photographed before, I'll often look at USGS topo maps in conjunction with a solar positioning calculator to guess at the best times of day to be at particular locations. Trying to visualize the sun position in relation to the terrain features aparent on the topo map is an interesting mental exercize. (Ah, for one of those snazzy architectural lighting programs linked to topo data!) Once there, it is sometimes obvious that a different time or day would be better based on the layout, orientation of buildings to the sun path, etc. I sometimes make notes of that, and will return - if the location is close enough to be practical.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    I do make notes regarding the date, my exposure and lens settings. If I remember, I take notes on lighting. I should take note as to what time of the day it is. My problem is that the best times are often during the day while I'm at work.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know of one spot, close to where I live, where the moon seems to rise between two small islands from a particular beach. This only happens during the winter months, November through February, and during this time, there is only one night per month when this happens just at sunset - which cases the moon to turn pink. Unfortunately, at this time of year, we also get frequent rain showers at sunset. So, I've only been able to successfully capture an image once.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin