Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,264   Online: 942

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the area I do most of my shooting, I always have a warming filter on the lens, and yes, it does make a difference on print film, my warming filter has become as standard as my UV filters used to be...I have heard good things about the Moose, and am going to get a couple in different sizes to cover the lenses I shoot.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    In the area I do most of my shooting, I always have a warming filter on the lens, and yes, it does make a difference on print film, my warming filter has become as standard as my UV filters used to be...I have heard good things about the Moose, and am going to get a couple in different sizes to cover the lenses I shoot.

Dave
    Dave,

Take a look at my comments about the new Singh Ray Lighter Brighter Warm Polarizer in the previous post. If you can use the Cokin P Holder (the P size Singh Ray Warm Polarizer will fit the circular slot at the back of the holder) this same filter (glass) can be used with a tremendous number of filter thread sizes with the proper adapters. This may prove as or more economical and lighter than buying multiple Moose filters. Additionally these Singh Ray filters will have less light loss particularly useful for those of us focusing through large format (particularly f6.8 and f9.0) lenses.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great thread. I was just going to post a question about polarizers and warming filters. If you haven't caught my other post, I'm going to Antigua & Barbuda for a month and I'm bringing my Canon EOS 300 (Rebel 2000), a warming filter and a circular polarizer. I'm planning on stacking the filter and polarizer, as I'm just using the kit lens (35mm-80mm). Will this be okay, without worrying about vignetting? Also, I've read in a few websites that I should stop up (?) in order to let in enough light (the recommendation varies from place to place). But if I'm using the above camera and using the TTL metering, do I need to worry about this or can I just adjust the exposure so that the meter is in the middle?

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'm still learning about photography and although I did a fair bit of reading and research several months ago, I need to re-read everything My brain can only hold so much at once, and until exams are over, it's all anthropology I'm afraid.

D-
    Shooting with: Canon Rebel 2000 (35mm) and Miranda re-II.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anthroboi
    Great thread. I was just going to post a question about polarizers and warming filters. If you haven't caught my other post, I'm going to Antigua & Barbuda for a month and I'm bringing my Canon EOS 300 (Rebel 2000), a warming filter and a circular polarizer. I'm planning on stacking the filter and polarizer, as I'm just using the kit lens (35mm-80mm). Will this be okay, without worrying about vignetting? Also, I've read in a few websites that I should stop up (?) in order to let in enough light (the recommendation varies from place to place). But if I'm using the above camera and using the TTL metering, do I need to worry about this or can I just adjust the exposure so that the meter is in the middle?

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I'm still learning about photography and although I did a fair bit of reading and research several months ago, I need to re-read everything My brain can only hold so much at once, and until exams are over, it's all anthropology I'm afraid.

D-
    Hi,

Bob Singh (Singh Ray) says to put the Polarizing filter closest to the film plane. Put the warming filter on the outside of the Polarizing filter. The inboard meter should read through the filters. However, I normally and many other photographers will reduce the polarization a bit from maximum to avoid an almost steel blue sky.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't used the Moose filters. I primarily use a Tiffen Warm Polarizer, but I am considering a replacement for it - I need an 86mm filter.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I haven't used the Moose filters. I primarily use a Tiffen Warm Polarizer, but I am considering a replacement for it - I need an 86mm filter.
    Hi Robert,

Ouch. What lens are you using that requires an 86mm thread? The only thing that I would have would be if I would use my Heliopan Center ND filter on my Rodenstock f6.8 90mm Grandagon N MC lens (the only exception if I get it repaired would be 112mm thread size for my Leica R f2.8 Apo Telyt).

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Hi Robert,

Ouch. What lens are you using that requires an 86mm thread?
    It's for my Schneider 3b Center Filter, which I use on my Schneider 80mm XL.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's for my Schneider 3b Center Filter, which I use on my Schneider 80mm XL.
    Hi Robert,

Same problem as me. But, at least for the time being I am not sure if I want to use them together. Also, according to Bob Singh, the Polarizer is supposed to go closest to the film plane of all the filters. So I am not sure what to do then using a Center ND filter.

Also, check my posting in this thread about the new Singh Ray Lighter Brighter Warm Polarizer in a Cokin P size will fit the rear slot on a Cokin P Holder and with the right adapter rings fit filter thread sizes to 82mm.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Hi Robert,

Same problem as me. But, at least for the time being I am not sure if I want to use them together. Also, according to Bob Singh, the Polarizer is supposed to go closest to the film plane of all the filters. So I am not sure what to do then using a Center ND filter.
    Hi Rich,

That is the same thing that Schneider says about the center filter - place it closest to the lens. I've got an el-cheapo polarizer that fits it now, but I haven't used it more than once or twice - 3 1/2 stops is a lot of light to loose. Like you, I am on the fence about using this combination.

One other option is to use the Lee 105mm polarizer and an 81A. Nice thing about the Lee holder is you can easily take off all the slots except one, if you choose; the polarizing filters fits on the outside of the holder. But, the only one who sells this filter that I am aware of is Robert White in the UK.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rich,

That is the same thing that Schneider says about the center filter - place it closest to the lens. I've got an el-cheapo polarizer that fits it now, but I haven't used it more than once or twice - 3 1/2 stops is a lot of light to loose. Like you, I am on the fence about using this combination.

One other option is to use the Lee 105mm polarizer and an 81A. Nice thing about the Lee holder is you can easily take off all the slots except one, if you choose; the polarizing filters fits on the outside of the holder. But, the only one who sells this filter that I am aware of is Robert White in the UK.
    Hi Robert,

I also have the Lee holder. By the way, I just went to the B&H website. They list 3 Polarizing filters to fit the holder:

1) The circular 105mm Polarizer that you mentioned - $300
    2) Circular 4x4 Polarizer - $179.95
    3) Linear 4x4 Polarizer- $159.95

http://tinyurl.com/z9lf3

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin