Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,694   Online: 926

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question about meters?

I have a sekonic 358 for studio work. I just received a 4x5 that I want to use for landscape work. Will the spot attachement for my 358 be OK?
    Thanks in advance,
    Brad

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can'tspeak specifically to the 358 but AFAIK most of the so called spot attachments are more like 5 ot 15 degree attachments. Tehre are a few 1-3 degree attachmenets for some meters but they are nearly as expensive as a good used spotmeter.

Will it work for LF landscape? Sure as long as you test the results and calibrate your exposure to the results from your light meter. It is not going to allw you to do incredibly accurate high - mid - low reading but you need to decide if ithat really matters.

For me, a light meter is a reference guide,no more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sure, no problem at all. I've use 1, 3 and 5 degree spot meters, and when the light starts changing really fast, I use my Nikon F5.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are three Ifixed) spot attachments available for the L-358 - 1°, 5°, and 10°.

Any of them will work fine, as long as you recognize the surface area being measured, and meter accordingly.

If, on the other hand, you are itching to buy a new meter with all the latest bells and whistles, the zoom spot on the newer models might be sufficient justification.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

nyx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Zoom spot means lower sensitivity - at least with Sekonic meters it makes 1-2EV difference (comparing L558 and L508 (iirc)).

I had L408 (5° spot) and it was too wide, so I changed to L558 with 1° spot. That alone was worth the change.

If that 1° attachment for L358 is anything like spot meter in L558, it should be absolutely ok. I don't really see any need for wider spot - if anything, I'd like it to be even smaller.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you also need to take into consideration what type of landscape photography you are going to do. Color or B&W? Zone System? Questions, only you can answer.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin