Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,862   Online: 994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When in doubt, I will meter off of a gray card with the filter of choice. Don't use a blue sky, shadows or other areas of the shot where the filter can affect vlaues. This has worked pretty well for me, but who knows? tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    "... Fred Picker, when he created his Zone VI meter, said that meters and film see light differently..."
    Okay... I thought it might be something like that. But what about the TTL meters on SLRs? They don't seem to have a problem metering through a filter.

"... Some photographers disagree and say the Zone VI meter modifications do nothing..."
    Sounds like one of those things that has a basis in theory but is insignificant in actual practice. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While taking a walk around the net this afternoon, I came across this article about the Zone VI meter mods. Seems like a pretty expensive way to give up a bit of low-light sensitivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago (12?) there was a pamplet by Harris&Harris, filter makers, about the no filter factor, factor. I tried it and was really impressed with the results. My red roses looked red in B/W, not white because the filter factor caused a color change. Try to find the article and then try it. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Tom,

Yes, it depends on

1 The filter

2 The film

3 The light

4 The subject

1 The precise absorbtion of any filter varies. One of my favourites is a weak (2.8x) orange from the Soviet era. Other 'orange' filters are usually 4x.

2 Different films have differing red sensitivities. A film with a high red sensitivity will show less effect from a yellow, orange or red filter than one with a low red sensitivity.

3 Late afternoon sunlight (just before sunset on a clear day) is about the same colour temperature as tungsten light, 2600-2900K. As there is more red light around, and less blue, the effect of blue-blocking filters (yellow, orange, red) will be less.

4 A red brick wall is already reflecting lots of red and will be less influenced than a blue sky.

Yes, you can measure all this, but life ain't long enough, so it's best to live with a series of rough approximations, +/- 1/2 stop to 1 stop based on guesswork and experience.

Beware of anyone who pretends that there is more precision in photography than really exists.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you meter through a deeply colored filter you are making the assumption that the meter's spectral sensitivity is the same as the film's. This is probably not correct. Therefore it is better to meter without the filter and then apply the filter correction (that's what its for). Even so I would bracket until I was familiar with the filter/film combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Yes, you can measure all this, but life ain't long enough, so it's best to live with a series of rough approximations, +/- 1/2 stop to 1 stop based on guesswork and experience.

Beware of anyone who pretends that there is more precision in photography than really exists.
    Amen! You can spend all your life in endless testing or you can spend it taking pictures. Just bracket when in doubt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams was a closet bracketer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin