Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,594   Online: 850

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RECIPROCITY ADJUSTMENT

Occasionally I find my brain frozen in the dumb zone.

If you have an indicated exposure of 45 seconds and want to account for reciprocity that is stated as:

1 sec: expose 2 secs, (-develop by 10%)
    10 secs: expose 1 min (-develop by 20%)
    100 secs: expose 20 mins (-develop by 30%)

...would you use the 10 second exposure four and one half times (4-1/2 minutes)?

TIA,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd think of it like this:

at 1 second, they're asking you to apply a factor of 2x. At 10 seconds a factor of 6x and at 100 seconds the factor grows to 12x.

45 seconds is kinda in the middle of 10 and 100 so, I might try a factor of 8x or 10x

that would mean, at 45seconds, try 6 - 7.5 minutes..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I'd think of it like this:

at 1 second, they're asking you to apply a factor of 2x. At 10 seconds a factor of 6x and at 100 seconds the factor grows to 12x.

45 seconds is kinda in the middle of 10 and 100 so, I might try a factor of 8x or 10x

that would mean, at 45seconds, try 6 - 7.5 minutes..
    HMMM, I never thought of it quite like that. Interesting. This could explain a lot of things to me.

Thanks Brad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hey Bruce,

It's no trouble at all. I was just thinking about this a little more and, if we take just the last two points, that is at 10 seconds and at 100 seconds, we see that the corrected exposure time can be expressed as follows:

y = (6* x * log10(x)) / 60

where:
    y is the exposure time corrected for reciprocity failure in minutes and,
    x is the base exposure time in seconds

if you apply this to your original question, the exposure time, adjusted for reciprocity is about 7.5 minutes...

try it:

y = (6.0 * 45 * log10(45)) / 60.0 == 7.439

Brad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

e100G transparency - reciprocity calculation?

Hey.. since you're on the topic . . .

I'm shooting a matchbox pinhole with Ektachrome e100G transparency film. I'm just wondering how to calculate the exposure times for reciprocity.

Kodak's website states for e100G:
    "Outstanding reciprocity - No speed or color compensation required for exposures from 1/10,000 to 10 seconds"

ok, but what's the calculation after 10 seconds.. is there a universal calculation? or is it different for each type of film.

sorry for the newb question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by krisbfunk
    Hey.. since you're on the topic . . .

I'm shooting a matchbox pinhole with Ektachrome e100G transparency film. I'm just wondering how to calculate the exposure times for reciprocity.

Kodak's website states for e100G:

"Outstanding reciprocity - No speed or color compensation required for exposures from 1/10,000 to 10 seconds"

ok, but what's the calculation after 10 seconds.. is there a universal calculation? or is it different for each type of film.

sorry for the newb question.
    As per Kodak,
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...shortexposures

"No filter correction or exposure compensation is required for exposure times from 1/10,000 to 10 seconds. At exposure times of 120 seconds, add CC10R filtration."

Each film reacts differently. Many need longer exposure. This one appears to only need color correction. Some need both.
    HTH
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok, that registers. thanks for the info.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin