Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,262   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Since most use light meters to determine exposure, it is probably not information that is published.

Fred Picker (founder of Zone VI) used a system called the Key Day system. A variation of the Sunny F 16 rule. His system went like this. If there were no clouds...bright sunlight then F16 or equivalent EV was the exposure for the day. For a light overcast day open a stop. For heavy overcast open another stop. For open shade open another stop. For deep shade open another stop.
    ah, but....this is exactly the Sunny 16 rule.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys
    . . . There are formulae around to calculate Lunar and Solar positions at various times in the year. I must find out about that next :d
    I use U.S.Naval Observatory and print out the data I expect to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I made a sunny sixteen slide rule. See here and here. I no longer have the full tables but you may be able to enhance on the information on my sliderule.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    . . . Edward Weston, so far as I know, never used a light meter and made some incredible images.
    Charis Wilson mentions Weston measuring light, and photographs of him show what certainly looks like a Weston Master meter case on his belt. He seemed to take pride in his simple equipment and techniques, but used whatever it took to make the photograph right.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed Buffaloe has a article on this subject that may assist.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ex.../exposure.html
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. This is getting a bit eerie! I was just about to post a question asking exactly the same thing (sunny sixteen etc.) Last week I was just about to ask about processing old films but someone pre empted me. Maybe higher forces at work here!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    ah, but....this is exactly the Sunny 16 rule.
    No this is different for the following reason...the sunny 16 rule uses the published box speed of the film. The Picker method determines the EI as it applies to your equipment and materials.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Loyd Jones and H.R. Condit wrote a paper for the Journal of the Optical Society of America in 1948 titled Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. It was published in two parts and combined is about 80 pages. It would not be an exageration to say this is the ultimate source for everything discussed on this thread. In addition, I don't think it's a coincidence that the first ASA standard of light meters was also release the same year this paper was published and that Jones was the chair on the light meter committee.

On the subject of light meters, the basic balanced exposure equation is:

A^2/T = BxS/K

where
    A= aperture
    T = shutter
    B = luminance in footlambarts
    S = film speed
    K = constant

Here's the Sunny 16 example

16^2/ 1/125 = 297x125 / 1.16

this reduces down to

256/256 = 1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin
    Loyd Jones and H.R. Condit wrote a paper for the Journal of the Optical Society of America in 1948 titled Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. It was published in two parts and combined is about 80 pages. It would not be an exageration to say this is the ultimate source for everything discussed on this thread. In addition, I don't think it's a coincidence that the first ASA standard of light meters was also release the same year this paper was published and that Jones was the chair on the light meter committee.

On the subject of light meters, the basic balanced exposure equation is:

A^2/T = BxS/K

where
    A= aperture
    T = shutter
    B = luminance in footlambarts
    S = film speed
    K = constant

Here's the Sunny 16 example

16/ 1/125 = 297x125 / 1.16

this reduces down to

256/256 = 1
    Stephen,

Where would one find the paper that you mentioned? Thanks for sharing this information.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Years ago I made a sunny sixteen slide rule. See here and here. I no longer have the full tables but you may be able to enhance on the information on my sliderule.
    Andy, Thanks for posting this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin