Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,328   Online: 881

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Stephen,

Where would one find the paper that you mentioned? Thanks for sharing this information.
    Don,

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. I. Luminous Density as Determined by Solar Altitude and Atmospheric Conditions, JOSA, vol. 38, #2, Feb 1948.

and

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. II. Scene Structure, Directional Index, Photographic Efficiency of Daylight, Safety Factors, and Evaluation of Camera Exposure, JOSA, vol 39, #1, Feb 1949.

I got mine at UCLA in their science stacks. Any good size university should have it. If you don't have access, The Optical Society of America will make copies for you. It's expensive though. Even with gas prices where they are, it might be worth the drive to a distant university. Plus, you can use this paper's extensive bib to find other good stuff to copy while you're there.

A word of warning. These papers are deadly dull. There's more in the second paper for us photographers to use, but the first is good to have just to understand what Sunny means and for those times you have trouble getting to sleep.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Be careful with the recommendations... the advice for snow/sand is exactly the opposite of what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Ed Buffaloe has a article on this subject that may assist.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ex.../exposure.html
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Benskin
    Don,

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. I. Luminous Density as Determined by Solar Altitude and Atmospheric Conditions, JOSA, vol. 38, #2, Feb 1948.

and

Jones, L.A. and Condit, H.R., Sunlight and Skylight as Determinants of Photographic Exposure. II. Scene Structure, Directional Index, Photographic Efficiency of Daylight, Safety Factors, and Evaluation of Camera Exposure, JOSA, vol 39, #1, Feb 1949.

I got mine at UCLA in their science stacks. Any good size university should have it. If you don't have access, The Optical Society of America will make copies for you. It's expensive though. Even with gas prices where they are, it might be worth the drive to a distant university. Plus, you can use this paper's extensive bib to find other good stuff to copy while you're there.

A word of warning. These papers are deadly dull. There's more in the second paper for us photographers to use, but the first is good to have just to understand what Sunny means and for those times you have trouble getting to sleep.

Steve
    Steve. Thanks...I will check at ASU...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Stephen,

Where would one find the paper that you mentioned? Thanks for sharing this information.
    try http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?id=77557

Images

Lattitude

Hi,

I used the sunny 16 (or even 22) rule a lot in South Africa (using a meterless Praktica) , but since moving to England my meters seem to suggest that, especially in winter (even mid day), a sunny 11 rule is probably more realistic. I did not follow all the links, so apologies if this was covered elsewhere; just interested if others have had similar experience.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Suggest you check ebay for a black cat exposure guide. It's based on the sunny 16 principle, and covers a huge range of lighting conditions [fireworks, moonlit scenes, etc.]. I love it, and it cost less than $10!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones

God, I love the internet, but $22.00. For that price, though, I still love university libraries and Xerox.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes. $22 is a bit steep when the Kodak guide (which should contain everything) is just $3 on ebay!

Images
    "Sunny 16" doesn't apply everywhere. Here is South Florida it is "Sunny 22." YMMV, depending on where you are shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    Hi,

I used the sunny 16 (or even 22) rule a lot in South Africa (using a meterless Praktica) , but since moving to England my meters seem to suggest that, especially in winter (even mid day), a sunny 11 rule is probably more realistic. I did not follow all the links, so apologies if this was covered elsewhere; just interested if others have had similar experience.
    You are quite right Erwin. Sunny 11 is generally much more appropriate here in England unless you are on the coast in summertime. I'm not sure why, it may be the high level of water vapour reducing solar gain.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin