Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 740

Thread: Pre Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pre Exposure

Do any of you pre expose film to a neutral subject on Zone I or II to raise shadows in an image? What are you experiences and advice to those who want to try it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flash19901
    Do any of you pre expose film to a neutral subject on Zone I or II to raise shadows in an image? What are you experiences and advice to those who want to try it.

I use this in extreme SBR situations. I don't expose to a neutral subject perferrring instead to pre-expose through an sheet of opaque acrylic.

I have pre-exposed as high as one stop less then meter indications,(I suppose that for Zone system practitioners this would be Zone IV), depending on the SBR of the scene.

The second exposure works best if the exposure is placed at three stops more then meter indications. (For Zone Sytem users this would be Zone VIII).

This method gives shadow elevation without the runaway high values that Ansel Adams method can produce. (Adams used low value determination for both exposures).

It is a process that should be used in certain situations...not all situations
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Mr. Miller. Pre-exposing in the field CAN be useful, but post exposure in the darkroom is usally better.

When you find pre-exposure more than an unusual thing, you might think of switching films.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting enough, the higher luminance scenes tend to have a higher flare factor which acts like pre exposure. This is something Adams never mentions. In these conditions, there is a built in pre exposure; however, there are conditions of normal flare with high luminance scenes.

The concept of pre exposure is also a good example of the influence of flare on film speed.

For what it's worth, I personally try not to use pre exposure because for the compression of the local shadow contrast.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin