Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,202   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Avoiding catchlight, possible?

Recently, I made a close-up potriat where I used a fast lens and have the depth of focus on the eyeball only, everything went accroding to plan except the reflection of strobe light and window frame were in the subject's eyes, which I find very distracting. This have been bugging me since and i would really like to know if there are any way I can avoid or minimise catchlight? Or is retouching the only way to go.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A polarizing filter?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Polarizer, and use soft boxes over your strobes to diffuse the light, change your angle a small bit in relation to the subject...most of all lots of practice to see how the lights reflect is good as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't think for a moment that what Photoshop allows you to do with the clone tool began with Photoshop. On ebay, I bought some instructional pamphlets on retouching that simply amazed me with the extent to which portraits and other kinds of photographs can be and have been retouched. My father, who, as an amateur LF portrait photographer, entered his work in exhibitions in Philadelphia in the late '40's and early '50's (and did quite well with them) had no qualms about routinely retouching out extra catchlights or other 'defects' as he perceived them. You can use good lighting technique up to a point, but after that, if you need to, grab the 000 brush and spotting fluid and go to work.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have read somewhere that people used to "retouch" negatives with razor blades. Really am amazed the efforts people put in in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually up until a few years ago, neg retouching was very comon, we used to do it, in the photo lab that I worked in, both color and B&W, in addition, most enlargements we did, had spotting done to them, I have done away with many a reflection or catch light for customers.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    God made eyes with only one catchlight. Two is a seriously unnatural thing, something that the Republications in the crowd should abhore.

The solution is to spot out the catchlight you don't like.

The commandments passed down by Moses after he fell down from the mountaintop, were thus:

Thou shalt have only ONE catchlight, and it shall be between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock in the eye. It shall also be round.

Anything other than this, one does at one's own peril.

As others have said cheating is allowed and that is done with retouching the print.

These days most people don't worry about catchlights much and in most cases they don't have much affect on the print. If it bothers you retouch it out.

That being said, pictures with no catchlights look unnatural.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, one catchlight looks natural because there is only one sun in our sky. If you come from a planet with two suns, then you may have two catchlights..

The only way to retouch it on the negative is to scrape off emulsion.. a process I do not suggest unless you have the specially designed etching knife and much time to develop the skill to use it. I don't think they are made any more. (I still have mine, but haven't used it in 40 years) Spotting the print may be the only answer.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=blansky]The commandments passed down by Moses after he fell down from the mountaintop, were thus:

Thou shalt have only ONE catchlight, and it shall be between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock in the eye. It shall also be round.

BUT.... the said round catchlight shall NOT be as of a dough-nut, such as one created by a ringlight mounted on the front of a lens) by a non-card carrying photographer with a motor driven hand-held 35mm just to produce the notorious click-shhhhhhhhhhht sound effect.

8-(

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin