Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,879   Online: 1036

Shooter
    35mm RF

Which filter system?

I want to get a set of ND graduated filters for use with my Bronica 645. I don't know what to get, and I'm confused - A size, P size, 100mm...

What do people use, and what factors should I be thinking about?

Many thanks

Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kdanks
    I want to get a set of ND graduated filters for use with my Bronica 645. I don't know what to get, and I'm confused - A size, P size, 100mm...

What do people use, and what factors should I be thinking about?

Many thanks

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

You would probably want either the Cokin P or Lee Filter size. But this will be depend largely on the filter size of the lenses that you have or will expect to have. The Cokin P system accepts filter thread adapters up to 82mm in size. The Lee system accepts filter thread adapters considerably larger.

Good makers of Grad ND filters include of course Lee and Singh-Ray both in resin and there are also makers of glass filters such as B&W, Formatt, Heliopan, and Tiffen. I would stay away from the Cokin Grad ND filters that are not known for being very neutral in color.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Kevin

This topic has been raised a number of times before and lots of people have made very helpful contributions. I suggest searching the archive which ought to give you a good indication of the pros and cons of each brand.

Lee are great if you can or want to afford them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this the ETR type or the RF? The G hood for the ETRS can be cheap used. It takes 3" filters. From memory I dont' recall what focal lengths it handles.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with Rich and Baxter. Asking "Which filter system?" is like asking which car - VW or Porsche. It depends upon your budget, and your needs. I used to use Cokin P, but like Rich says, the ND Grads are not very neutral. Now I use the Lee System - it is much higher quality and more versitile, but also much more expensive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to reading prior filter threads, I'd strongly suggest considering formats to which you might migrate in the future. Otherwise, you'll end up having multiple filter systems, along with the duplicated expense.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph,

A very good point.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the replies gents. I haven't yet found the previous threads that Baxter mentions, although I have seen some very useful discussions - for example I had no idea that you could get hard and soft graduates. I realise that my subject line wasn't particularly helpful - I think I'm still some way from choosing between one brand and another, it's more a question of not knowing what I don't know... and therefore needing to understand what I need to ask myself. I'll keep reading the archives.

Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin,

You can check this short thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/26343-neutral-density-grad-filters-buy-first.html

Also, run an advanced search for Graduated ND filters on APUG. You should find quite a number of discussions. Some regarding Cokin P. Many are in the Large Format forums.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin