Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,418   Online: 1201

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

your holy grail...

Do you have a sort of a special light or event or anything that you have been waiting for a long time to capture?

I remember, few years ago, I was walking somewhere just outside of town, and there was this perfect light, like I never saw again. It was a sort of combination of a stormy sky and a warm misty late afternood clear sky, though the sun was still behind the clouds. It gave a sort of a directional softbox-kind-of-soft light comming from one portion of the sky, while the rest of the sky was covered with heavy threatning dark stormy clouds. It was just after the summer storm, and everything was wet, the bushes and trees looked as if they were painted. It gave such a surreal light, like I've never seen before. Even some of my friends who don't give a darn about light and photography commented on it the next day. I was stunned how many people noticed it.

I didn't have a camera back then or a tripod...

And I've been sort of waiting to see something like that for a few years now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a view from my front door across old Victorian buildings to a 19th century military barracks which is now private housing. Once or twice a year we have a cracking thunder storm and lightning always strikes into the old parade ground. I am waiting to capture that from my front door. I have come close, but failed to notice I had my 28mm lens on the camera. So I got a pathetic little squiggle of lightning rather than a magnificent strike :rolleyes: . See first attachment, the lightning is what looks like a hair about a third of the way in from the left. The second attachment is the view (in daylight) where I want to capture the lightning.

I continue to wait...
    Last edited by Andy K; 05-21-2006 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a rusty old thresher out in the woods with two small trees growing up through the middle of it. I need just the right lighting and the right kind and amount of snow to get the picture I desire. I can see it clearly in my head but the weather has yet to help me.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    At a local golf course is a rusty old John Deere tractor (this picture is similar to Anytes - my apologies) with a Birch tree growing up thru' the steering wheel. I photo'd it once in the spring a couple of years ago - trudged thru' a half mile of snow carrying my 4x5 gear - I got a "not too bad" picture, but .... not what I wanted. I am waiting for the towering puffy white cumulus clouds of summer and those deep dark blue skys for contrast and then I want an 8x10 contact print on AZO ... I can wait ....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    Do you have a sort of a special light or event or anything that you have been waiting for a long time to capture?
    I haven't really thought about it but I'm fairly sure that it would somehow involve Brooke Burke.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I was driving through Hernadez, New Mexico one day.............
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I have a view from my front door across old Victorian buildings to a 19th century military barracks which is now private housing. Once or twice a year we have a cracking thunder storm and lightning always strikes into the old parade ground. I am waiting to capture that from my front door. I have come close, but failed to notice I had my 28mm lens on the camera. So I got a pathetic little squiggle of lightning rather than a magnificent strike :rolleyes: . See first attachment, the lightning is what looks like a hair about a third of the way in from the left. The second attachment is the view (in daylight) where I want to capture the lightning.

I continue to wait...
    Looks like you need to get rid of some ground clutter.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A couple of times I've had that sun-shining-through-storm-clouds lighting at The Twelve Apostles and managed to capture it. Just this morning in Melbourne we had that extremely dramatic effect where there is almost a vertical immediate change from very dark storm clouds on one side to very bright section on the other, with the sun crossing between the two sections. Of course I was driving, without a camera, on a freeway where I couldn't stop even if I had a camera. On my way back it looked even better, as the light part had these incredible puffy clouds very low in the sky...no camera, no chance to stop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might gag when I say this, but I really find grey overcast days to be my favorite. Wet rocks, plants, etc on wet grey days. Not that we aren't getting enough of that here in El Cerrito at the moment...

Actually, now that you mention it, I have been waiting for the right fog shot to come along. I think it is more a matter of the right subject matter than of conditions. I just don't seem to be as attentive when it comes to fog shots.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flowers in Asphalt

I've been expecting for the perfect one.
    what I have been and am doing on photography is just for that one.
    I don't want to miss the perfect one at the perfect moment. That's why I'm learning photography.
    When I got it, I will be searching for another hobby.
    However, I don't know what perfect means:rolleyes:
    kunihiko kario

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin