Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,831   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

RECIPROCITY BLACK & WHITE FILM

It appears Digital Truth has posted incorrect reciprocity data according to my experience with exposures less than 15-minutes. Have NOT tested Ilford for reciprocity but used their formula meter reading ^ 1.49.

BLACK & WHITE FILM
    Digital Truth for ALL B/W film (http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/reciprocity.php)
    1 sec reading: expose 2 sec and N-10%
    10 sec reading: expose 1 min and N-20%
    100 sec reading: expose 20 min and N-30%
    Kodak for 320TXP
    1 sec reading: expose 1 sec and N-0%
    10 sec reading: expose ≈18 sec and N-1
    100 sec reading: expose ≈4-min and N-1 1/2
    Ilford
    1 sec reading: expose 1 sec and N-0%
    10 sec reading: expose 30 sec and N-10%
    100 sec reading: expose ≈15 min ^1.49=15 min ≈N-30%
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would just download the tech sheets for each film you are using or plan to use and they include reciprocity information.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I would just download the tech sheets for each film you are using or plan to use and they include reciprocity information.
    Kodak 320TXP and Ilford reciprocity data are documented by each company. More specifically Ilford states that there film reciprocities are based on Uncorrected Time or Meter Reading seconds ^1.49. However, if you have some information that would substantiate or correct what Digital Truth has claimed it would be helpfut to forum viewers. Perhaps other viewing this verify?

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My co-author conducted a reciprocity test lately, but the data is not evaluated yet. So I can't post anything right now. Nevertheless, I have a working reciprocity chart for Kodak films and it matches the above table closely.

One factor needs to be considered. What is the color temperature of the low-light condition, which is causing the reciprocity failure? Film has a very different sensitivity to blue, green or red light. If we are facing a tungsten low-light condition, the reciprocity chart made with dim daylight data will give false results.

Remember, film is very forgiving to over-exposure. When in doubt, just double the exposure. It won't hurt.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht
    Remember, film is very forgiving to over-exposure. When in doubt, just double the exposure. It won't hurt.
    Dear Ralph,

Oh dear! Giving away trade secrets!

Couldn't agree more!

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht
    One factor needs to be considered. What is the color temperature of the low-light condition, which is causing the reciprocity failure? Film has a very different sensitivity to blue, green or red light. If we are facing a tungsten low-light condition, the reciprocity chart made with dim daylight data will give false results.

Thanks Ralph. I did not realize this factor was involved. I thought that the increased exposure requirements took this into consideration - but, you tested - that settles it. Sounds like you and a coleague are doing some in depth reciprocity testing. I would be nice to do better than a very broad estimate. Keep us informed as you get more data?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Hortense,

The data on our site comes from many reliable sources, but there can always be errors or inconsistencies. The reciprocity data is a guideline only and testing needs to be done with individual films.

We are happy to accept any improvements to our site, and will credit all contributions, so if anyone can supply better data, then please send it to me and we will make it available on our information pages.

--Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaltruth
    Hi Hortense,

The data on our site comes from many reliable sources, but there can always be errors or inconsistencies. The reciprocity data is a guideline only and testing needs to be done with individual films.

We are happy to accept any improvements to our site, and will credit all contributions, so if anyone can supply better data, then please send it to me and we will make it available on our information pages.

--Jon
    Jon - You site is fine. Pardon my comments - not intended to throw spears. We value the service your site provides. I was hoping others would chime in with the reciprocity data they have used successfully.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jon - Here is what I have successfully used for TriX. Ilford calculations are
    Meter Readiing in seconds ^1.48.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

320TPX

Here it is.
    Last edited by hortense; 09-19-2006 at 07:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin