Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,488   Posts: 1,644,773   Online: 791

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe in the $10K range, and maybe developed by Fuji, but my memory is pretty dim on the details. I just remember thinking that I would never want to use a machine that ate my negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    If for some reason that other technology didn't exist, and all the R&D money went towards advancing the capabilities of film emulsions, where would we be now, and what innovations could we have expected, or be expecting in the future?

This is one of the random things that floats around in my head.
    If for some reason wet plates and gelatine emulsions hadn't been invented, and all research went towards improving Daguerreotype, where would we be now? WOW!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Maybe in the $10K range, and maybe developed by Fuji, but my memory is pretty dim on the details. I just remember thinking that I would never want to use a machine that ate my negatives.
    I agree! Tear up the prints if you must, but don't touch those negs! :-)

$10K sounds pretty good. They're only one order of magnitude away on the price. So... what's that? One or two generation until we see a desktop version under $1K?

I think the Kodaks and Fujis would have put their biggest chunks of change into this kind of technology, and much smaller amounts into the development of new emulsions for an esoteric part of their business. Compared to what they bring in on the consumer side, we "serious shooters" are an important -- but not a big -- part of their business. We're a drop in the bucket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    If for some reason wet plates and gelatine emulsions hadn't been invented, and all research went towards improving Daguerreotype, where would we be now? WOW!!!
    We'd probably be painters.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I read a article about these machines a few years ago. I think it "enhanced" the latent image so they could be read and scanned. You got a CD and prints, but no negs because they were not "developed" in the normal sense of the word.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Until the last few years, I saw an almost frenzied effort to improve the motion picture stocks, sometimes so fast that an emulsion would get revised just as I started to feel really familiar with it. Motion picture still probably represents a sizable amount of total film footage. I know on one good year I shot close to 600,000 feet, just little old me. I'm still shooting allot, but I'm not doing as many movies, and those are the film eaters.

The rapid evolution of motion picture stock has tapered off quite a bit, but I would have expected to see continued improvement of color rendition under mixed color temperatures, perhaps getting to the point of a totally self adjusting spectral sensitivity, (if that's the correct term) if it would be technically feasible.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin