Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,789   Online: 827

View Poll Results: Would this be useful to you?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 18.18%
  • NO

27 81.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used a friends Canon 10D as a polaroid of sorts, for pictures where straight exposure would not give me the appearance I wanted (and I don't have the know-how to determine it correctly by extrapolating from a meter). But given the capabilities of a dSLR (metering modes, ASA settings, decent lenses, etc.) its still a long leap away from your cell phone - which produces a picture based on some simplified algorythm without telling you how it did so, how it arrived at this exposure, etc.. I don't see how a cell phone would be any help since it gives you no useful information to even base a guesstimate on. Its bad enough that the digigizmo has a depth of field of a pinhole - and the cellphone would be even worse. It would be like basing your plans for the future on a sci-fi novel: no relation.
    Make calls with phones - I am on the same page as Mr. Boyd here: give me a phone that calls and recieves calls! Is that too little to ask???!!!

Peter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    After driving ¾ of an hour I discovered I had left my Sekonic 505 light meter in another bag. The weather report indicated I had about three hours of sunshine ahead. It was the first day above freezing temperatures in about a month. I decided to download a light meter app and try it rather than give up for the day and hope for similar weather soon. Cleveland, Ohio lakeside is not known for sunny winters. Gray is the predominant shade.

I decided to try Pocket Light Meter by Nuwaste studios for IOS or Apple 5 cell phone. At $9 a sheet for 7x17 film I was taking a chance, but the exposures seemed right based on previous experience with similar light in the same area.

When I got home I took out the Sekonic, a gray card and the cell phone. The readings were exactly the same. Developing the first two of six negatives looked quite good.

One person’s experience.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    After driving ¾ of an hour I discovered I had left my Sekonic 505 light meter in another bag. The weather report indicated I had about three hours of sunshine ahead. It was the first day above freezing temperatures in about a month. I decided to download a light meter app and try it rather than give up for the day and hope for similar weather soon. Cleveland, Ohio lakeside is not known for sunny winters. Gray is the predominant shade.

I decided to try Pocket Light Meter by Nuwaste studios for IOS or Apple 5 cell phone. At $9 a sheet for 7x17 film I was taking a chance, but the exposures seemed right based on previous experience with similar light in the same area.

When I got home I took out the Sekonic, a gray card and the cell phone. The readings were exactly the same. Developing the first two of six negatives looked quite good.

One person’s experience.

John Powers
    John you realize that the last post before you on this thread was 8 years ago right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin