Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,404   Online: 997

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Maybe a bit more than just a troll. On his website, he says he is working on a book in which he will "[color=black]expect to make clear many many things in photography".[/color]
    Ah ha! The plot thickens, Watson...

I just hope Daniel and timester (of " A Passionate believer in Film with some Scientific Info for you" fame) never meet in an enclosed space. The resulting critical mass could wipe out half the planet (possibly all of it if Scarpatti/Ornello happened to be in the room next door)...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap. I knew something was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB
    As a result the zone SYSTEM do not works.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Medium Format

Brane Fart

To all APUGers, I now serve notice that I have been given by elves and trolls (especially the trolls) all of the dark secrets of photographers, known only to those of the 32nd ISO and with piles.

Hence, I shall take it upon myself to be the illuminator and arbitrator of all things photographic; for my knowledge is full and ripe and perhaps something else. Stand in awe my little friends, while you bask in my radiant glow and await the pearls that droppeth from my keyboard.

Your first lesson is this: Dont open the back of the camera whilst the film is unwound. It will cause your halides to dye...

Asstounding, ain't it???
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 06-15-2006 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I was in awe of my tumenescence
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Maybe a bit more than just a troll. On his website, he says he is working on a book in which he will "[color=black]expect to make clear many many things in photography".[/color]
    Hope he has a good - no, GREAT editor. This guy is even more longwinded than I am. Making clear many things in photography will only be possible after making clear your means of conveying your knowledge.
    Besides, that book already exists - actually its a phrase, or even less: Sunny 16

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting case of wrong reasoning: you give some related arguments and then draw a wrong conclusion.
    eg. Building a Diesel engine.
    I know it's principle;
    I have fuel ;
    I have no lathe;
    hence
    a Diesel engine does not work

M.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed from Daniel's web page that he works in NYC (as I do) and uses a Leica R (as I do). Maybe I should invite him to our current show*, I thought. Maybe not.

Hey ho,
    Helen

*nudity/naughty bits warning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is so obvious that my story about zone system is not intended to guys owning 2000 MHz computer with 17 inches Sonny color screen, sitting in leather sofa and wondering how nice is a Gossen Lunastar or minolta SpotMeterF, and always using cache instead of brain whenever they get a problem. And even and brain can order from a local butcher using the cell phone. So what one can expect from them to create or investigate. And all they “know” is “nooooo way maaaaan, you wrooooong”. Guys you are not interested to me.
    And to Diesel guy could you see that I put “…yes there is a solution…” But your problems are different and no solutions for them. You are too ironical.

The target are guys sitting in their rooms with old and bellowed Retina or Leica, simple lightmeter, developing film in the plate he eat from, and Opemus enlarger, with $50 or less as daily salary in pocket to pay bills and feed family. They do not own grade 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 ilford galerie paper for some, to many people, strange reason. But he still would like to make nice photograph and to know the process he can control in full.
    One of them asked me a question: Daniel and have read about the zone system but what I should to do if my density at zone I is 0.10 and density at zone II, due to shape of the toe, is 0.12 and can I figure out all of that densities within 20 minutes with my old lightmeter. And he investigated way to solutions. That is something cache guys never think about due to lack of imagination that there is life outside US and they do not sell their work on e-bay. And they are the best photographers for they are full of love and passion, so strange things to find among cache guys in the west.

Helen
    I do not make photographs of gay and lesbians with rings through the genitals or involved in sexual trans in the way to celebrate their “passion”. So I think they will not fit very well into your collection as you already marked.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well let me weigh in on this illuminating discussion that is masquerading as a bashing of an individual who doesn't agree with the annointed masses. Addressing this to the originator of this thread, you should not feel abused because some people are just normally abusive in the manner that they conduct themselves towards others who disagree. Please forgive them for their immaturity and insensitivity...as one spiritual leader once said "Forgive them for they know not what they do."

Continuing on, you may think that you have discovered something new for yourself that many others have totally missed in their photographic experience. I will allow you the latitude to consider that as being the case. While the annointed masses may never have had an "ah hah" experience...a personal epiphany, if you will, I recognize that these do occur for many people.

The zone system is simply a system. It has major glaring deficiencies, no doubt. Unfortunately for you, to address these dificiencies and bring them to the attention of the annointed masses is akin to shitting in the Sistine Chapel. It just aint nice!!!

Meanwhile let me assure you that I applaud you for your bravery in the face of such daunting and abusive diatribe by the annointed masses.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Damn, I wish someone had told me 25 years ago when I was using my 35mm with the zone system that it did not work......... :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whew. Just finished getting the oil out of my hair. You know, being anointed is messy!.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin