Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,365   Online: 1220

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Prices of these meters just seem to be going up and up. I bought my Gossen Starlight in 2002 and paid about $450. Now the price is $674. at B&H! Anyway, other than the fact that it has a tendency to eat batteries, it is a great light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of the digi meters a Sekonic Flash meter, that is quite nice at the time I bought it, it was about $300, but it does not leave the studio, the meter that gets all the field work is an old Knight manual meter that I think I paid $5 for at a show many years ago, very accurate and has been beat to death and still keeps going, I also have a manual Soligor spot that sees some work. I am well known for misplacing my meters, so I have a couple of very old GE's that stay in the bag, I have the converstion chart, and they work as well.

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expensive Meter Alternatives

I'm not sure the original poster wants a high dollar spot or exactly what his needs are but apparently he needs a good meter at a good price---I have a Sekonic L-508 I really like but rarely use as I Prefer my Pentax Digital Spot if shooting B&W but as an inexpensive buy accurate meter less the spotmeter ability I highly recommend the Polaris Flashmeter---Very simple operation--The first and only meter I've ever bought "NEW" and has never failed me though it lacks a true spot-meter function but accepts an attachment for 5 degrees--check ebay--I'm keeping mine---excellent flash meter and reflective/Incident functions-- Every bit as accurate for me as the Sekonic 508 just not as many bells and whistles---between the Polaris and the Pentax Digital Spot I really don't even need the Sekonic--but I do like a spare meter.
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks for the feedback and advice. I need the meter mostly for portraiture. I'm having quite a bit of luck picking up photographic equipment on ebay, so I think I will buy an old analog meter there.

ricardo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I use a Pentax swing-needle and my wife uses a Pentax digital and we both prefer our respective meters (though it would be nice if they took more conventional batteries).

As for the Starlite price, it's the collapsing dollar. When Dubbya came to power a euro was 93 cents US; now it's about $1.30. So a 500-euro meter would indeed go from $465 to $650.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm
    Many people here recommended the Pentax digital spotmeter. It's a very nice meter indeed but if you buy it new it's in the $400-500 range.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All i have used for almost 20 years are the Sekonic L-398 for all my colour, and a Pentax Analog spot meter for my B&W work in the past ten years. I don't know if you can still buy the Pentax analog spot meter, but I would reccomend it.

Tounge in Cheek mode = ON

Considering APUG is the ANALOG photo users group, shame, shame, shame[I] on all of you who reccomend a digital meter overr an analog meter. Everyone on this list should be avoiding digital and using just analog.

joe

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joneil
    All i have used for almost 20 years are the Sekonic L-398 for all my colour, and a Pentax Analog spot meter for my B&W work in the past ten years. I don't know if you can still buy the Pentax analog spot meter, but I would reccomend it.

Tounge in Cheek mode = ON

Considering APUG is the ANALOG photo users group, shame, shame, shame[I] on all of you who reccomend a digital meter overr an analog meter. Everyone on this list should be avoiding digital and using just analog.

joe
    But I can't get my slide rules to post messages.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Gossen Digisix is a great little incedent/reflected meter for just over $100. It is digital, but reads EV and has a dial calculator. I like the dial because of the way it shows all the shutter/stop combinations at once.

An analog meter is absolutley fine, if it is accurate, and the cool thing is many don't need batteries.

As to the idea that you must have the latest greatest to make great exposures? I sit back a moment and reflect that most of the photographers I revere made their most incredible exposures using what we consider today to be outmoded, obsolete equipment.

The "advantages" of our modern equipment are largley about convienience, versatility, and in some cases, reliability.

(well, excepting optics, and emulsions)

All I'm really trying to say is that a nice new $900 meter is nice, but a $100 meter, and a $800 used primo lens is better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gossen Luna Pro is a workhorse and will take attachments for narrower angles, enlarger work, etc. I have the "S" model that sort of lends itself to Zone calculations. I bought a used one and Gossen calibrated it and cleaned it up for me for a very reasonable price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin