Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 823

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a good old Gossen Lunasix 3. It doesn't have a spot meter but I haven't yet needed one. I love the meter, it's very trustworthy.
    - Heli

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    I then saw loads of analog exposure meters on ebay. Are these still good enough?
    I don't know - I've never used a digital one!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I don't know - I've never used a digital one!
    LOL! Same here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too, I don't know if I would like one, the beauty of analogue ones to me is that you can see all the shutter speed and aperture options available at a glance on the dial at one time, the same reason I prefer watches with hands, because at a glance the time registers more quickly in my head, the time it's been, and the time it's going to be than digits do.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    If you need a spotmeter then the analog version isn't all that cheap either. If you only need wide angle reflected and incident then many inexpensive analog meter are good. Digital meters aren't that expensive either if they don't do flash or spot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I lost the calculator dial from a Weston Master III, it was no great inconvenience. A moment of basic math lets one convert from the meter reading to any aperture and shutter combination. This must be somewhat so for meters that have a light value read-out. With the dial, the zone system should be easy. Digital meters might be better for those with a pasion for precise figures. Film isn't that particular.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polaski View Post
    Gossen Luna Pro is a workhorse and will take attachments for narrower angles, enlarger work, etc. I have the "S" model that sort of lends itself to Zone calculations. I bought a used one and Gossen calibrated it and cleaned it up for me for a very reasonable price.
    I would second the Luna Pro. I picked up a nice one on ebay for about half of what a comparable new analog one would cost me. I will say that it is huge in size and I have to use zinc batteries as it was designed for mercury. It still reads accurate to my new fancy film camera that I never use, now that I have acquired NAS. (You know if you have it.)
    And I will have to second the dial having all the respective shutter speed/ aperture settings at a glance is nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41 View Post
    The last time I bought an exposure meter was in high school, shooting with my trusty Minolta SRT 101B.

Last week I strolled into a downtown camera store, hoping to drop $50-60 on an exposure meter, only to be told that the models they had available were $600 and $900, respectively.

Huh? Since when do exposure meters cost more than camera bodies?

I then saw loads of analog exposure meters on ebay. Are these still good enough?

ricardo
    Ricardo,

OMG - you own, or seek to own, an analog light meter!

Analog meters, together with all analog equipment of any kind whatsoever, were banned several years ago. Possession of such items is consider to be dangerously atavistic and luddite. Heavy fines, imprisonment and subsequent community service teaching Photoshop to senior citizens in continuing education programs is likely if you are caught

If you obtain and use such items you would be wise to keep it to yourself.

This is but another example when: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is the only advisable course of action given the kind of proclivities you exhibit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most of the currently available high-end light meters have features that were not present on meters several years ago, such as flash-metering, either tethered, or untethered, and the ability to take several readings and integrate them together. Also, the lower volume of units sold, makes the per-unit price of manufacture higher. For many people who shoot digital, it is often easier to just shoot a test shot and look at the histogram, and this has caused a dwindling of sales of pro-level meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Luna Pro on paybay for a little and got the attachment for spot as a second backup to my Soligor. It's a little big but it does take a 9 Volt battery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin