Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 740

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beach photos and film speed with set aperture

ah summer, and along with it vacation. im going to the beach in a few weeks and im wondering what kind of film should i bring. I dont want the white sand of the beach to blow the highlights out of my pictures, or leave my subjects underexposed- but i am going to have little control over over the aperture and exposure (camera in question is a Holga)

so what speed film should i use? should i buy iso 200 or 400 if its going to be relatively cloudless? I mainly use AristaEDU and im not exactly sure on its exposure latitude so any help would be appreciated.

i normally shoot most of my pictures indoors with available light and notice that my Holga takes relatively longer exposures- any tips on exposure time as well?

thank you!
    -derek

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sunny day at the beach--shutter speed is 1/ISO at f:22 typically (one stop down from "sunny 16" with all that sand and water reflecting the light). I don't know what options the Holga has, but I'd work from there, and if you can't find film slow enough, tape an ND gel over the lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Most Holga (no two are the same) do well in sunny daylight with 100 speed film as the Holga aperture is somewhere around and 8-11 and the shutter is about 1/100. The little sunny-cloudy switch on the camera is meaningless, and has no effect on exposure. If your shutter is a stop slow, then 50 might be the ticket. 200&400 are too fast for day ex with a Holga (generalization alert). If you are looking for precise exposure control for a difficult situation, a Holga won't do. What makes it great, makes it suck, ya know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holga aperture is f/8. Shutter speed is 1/60 to 1/80, depending on what day it was assembled and what the weather was like. Film in bright beach scenes or snow, no faster than ISO 100. You may want to take a light yellow filter along, too, and bracket, with / without it. If your budget allows you to have two Holgas, put ISO 50 in one of them.
    Most of all, have fun with 'em.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you everyone! i ordered some rolls of 50 and 100 yesterday and it will be in before i leave. i havent used film below 200 before but i also havent brought my cameras to the beach either, so thanks for the help!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin