Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB
    bherg
    for that (558 seconic) money you can get all new Gossen Starlight form BH. If you can you better off cancel order and get Gossen.
    I have a 558 and never had any problems with it, just as accurate as the Gossen, I think he will be quite happy with it..

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bherg
    for that (558 seconic) money you can get all new Gossen Starlight form BH. If you can you better off cancel order and get Gossen.

The Starlight is 30% more money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bherg
    Daniel,

Could you explain why you recommend the Starlite (sic) over the L-558? Is your recommendation based on experience of the two meters?

Thanks,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    If I am not mistaken the Starlight is significantly more expensive than the Sekonic L-558. On the surface they offer about the same features. I do like the Starlight better but really can not positively recommend it over the sekonic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a new Seconic and took it home for the test. It was close to be fine in gray and white. However color sensitivity was the reason I returned it the same day. As I can remeber the biggest problem is red. Also retractable dome disappointed me too.

Gossen starlite can be taken as reference meter on the whole spectrum, for reflected light, with no problem, and the same can be said for some more Gossen meters (e.g. old LunaPro, and very old Leica MR Matra meter (CDS) for Leica M cameras which is made by Gossen). I just do not know how they managed CDS to be so good on different (LunaProII) colors but I guess it is also up to electronic.

Chan: Leica and Nikon has also similar features (visible) but not similar invisible features.

HB what is (sic)? Is it stands for silicon?

Shooter
    35mm
    CDS actually has better color response then silicon. Silicon is always very sensitive to IR and needs filter to response properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HB what is (sic)? Is it stands for silicon?
    To save you looking it up in a dictionary, here is what the OED has to say:

sic // adv. (usu. in brackets)
    used, spelt, etc., as written (confirming, or calling attention to, the form of quoted or copied words)

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chan, how meter is made is to manufacturers and meters designer and it is not photographers buseness. Photogs have to use in the proper way as a part of the personal system, and there are only some basic thinks about meters design that photog "have to" know, as how to set switches, color sensitivity, view angle, ... but what is under the cover and how the switch is designed I do not care. All I care about is to get my neg as I want with no surprise.

On the very end the best meter is one you own and you like, no matter price. Just learn its photographis properties and you can correct it when time comes to use it. If it shift two opening on red, what is a problem if you know it. But one need time and knowledge to "meet" his meter. That point is a problem to many.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just tried to give some answer to your comment on how the old CDS meters responded very well to color. I think your argument on having the starlight over the sekonic is a valid one. I don't own either Gossen or Sekonic meters so I don't really know. I only have Minoltas and I am quite happy with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys lost me a bit on the Red response aspect, so here are some questions. Are you referring to a reflected or spot metering? If you are referring to red response of an incident reading, is that an issue of setting sun redness, or of metering red gels on strobes? Something else like red filter usage on the lens, or filter factor? Thanks for some incite.

Ciao!

Gordon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin