Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,848   Online: 712

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Sekonic light meters..

Hello ..

Im about to get me a new and abit more modern light meter.

I have looked on the sekonics and decided to get one of those. But what is the diffrence betwen them all. There are Flash masters, zoom masters, cine master, dual master and so on......

I do not use flash that much, but i want to have it in my lightmeter if i do.

So i want an allround meter. for spot, reflective, indicient (sp?) and flash.

Any kind person who could explain this mystery?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All depend on what kind of shooting you do. For general still photography, my primary meter is zoom master (L-508). It does general incident reading, flash reading and has a zoom spot meter that zooms in to 1 degree. I think there are a couple of versions of this - one has a pocketwizard transmitter chip so you can fire flashes remotely - if you also by the pocket wizard radio triggers (not cheap). I don't think you need the extra $ for this unless you are going to do a lot of flash with multiple lights. (mine doesn't have it)

Mine has worked fine for a number of years - uses a single aa battery.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regardless of your seldom use of flash, it would be good to have the capability. Might even lead to using flash more in the future. It has proven itself to be an asset rather than a liability.

Charlie....................................

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the L-558 which has everything a lightmeter could possibly have in. From spot, to radio triggered flash metering and its also easy to use.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Regardless of your seldom use of flash, it would be good to have the capability. Might even lead to using flash more in the future. It has proven itself to be an asset rather than a liability.

Charlie....................................
    Good point.

There have been some changes in the features since I bought mine. MAC (USA Mamiya distributor) distributes both Sekonic and Pocketwizard in USA and I am given to understand that thier influence led to the marriage of Pocketwizard technology with Sekonic flashmeters.

To clarify - flashmaster does incident ambient and flash, but no spot meter. Cine incorporates features for videography. Dual master is the current term for the combination meter L558R which does incident ambient, flash and has a spot meter (zooms to 1 degree). The literature says it also will measure % of light from ambient vs flash at various settings when you test flash. My older version (L-508) doesn't do that trick (does flash or ambient). Sounds like a winner to me. There is a more expensive version of the L558 that incorporates cine features as well.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want one meter to do everything the 558 is about the only choice IMHO. The 358 if you don't need spot mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own the 558 and have no complaints, it is my second sekonic meter, the first being the 358, no problems whatsoever. Keh.com has a good price on the 558 if youre interested.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I made my decision on a 558 Dual master, and bought one. I should have it in a couple of days.

Thanks for all the advices...

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    I made my decision on a 558 Dual master, and bought one. I should have it in a couple of days.

Thanks for all the advices...

Cheers Johannes
    Good choice; I love mine. One piece of advice though, always keep spare battery for the thing - Murphy will dictate when it dies, and it dies very suddenly.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bherg
    for that (558 seconic) money you can get all new Gossen Starlight form BH. If you can you better off cancel order and get Gossen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin