Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,466   Posts: 1,570,715   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Under or overexpose film?

I recently picked up an old Yashica D and some 400 iso, 120 B&W film.It's my first foray into twin lens photography and I'd like to get it right.
    In order to achieve a more textured effect how should I rate the film on my hand held meter. I'm asking this because although my stock of filters is varied I don't have any 30mm bayonet red or yellow.

Thank You,
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You need to test the camera, film, light meter, filters and development times yourself. We can't tell you because everyone's equipment is different. Your shutter might be slower than mine. The camera's aperture scale might be more accurate than mine. Your lightmeter is probably more accurate than mine. The filters might be very old and slightly faded. No two people agitate their film the same way, so your development times will be different than mine.

Test, test, test.

Your question is valid, but only you can find the answer through experimentation.

Good luck.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have three rules for exposing B&W film.
    1. Never underexpose.
    2. Never overdevelop.
    3. (and most important) Never blindly follow rules 1 and 2.

Generally, exposing film at the manufacturor's ISO gives the minimum acceptable exposure. Many of us rate negative film at perhaps half the ISO. Bracketing exposures until you know what works best for you is educational. Understanding the characteristic curve of film and the effect of exposure and development on it help you control the final image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim & pinholemaster.
    My real problem is the availability of 120 in my city. There ain't none! I purchased the only roll of T-Max 400. I do have one roll of Tri-X I got from fellow APUGer Mark H. Not much leeway for testing the camera.
    I will try to order from an eastern Canadian outfit like Henry's or Vistek. Getting material from the USA is very expensive and I have promised to limit my photo spending. It's far too humid to sleep in the dog house without AC if you get my drift.

Thanks Again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    negative film likes overexposure alot more then under.

You can look at Photoco in Montreal for film. IIRC thier shipping is less then Henry's. I'm not sure how the prices compare at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike

Here is my blind guess. Rate the box speed 2/3 to 1 stop slower, and dollars to donuts, you'll be happy. How do I know? A lot of testing for myself an others.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin