Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,383   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Efke

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Efke

any thoughts?

i recently purchased some iso 25 and had some trouble with the recomended development time. after all was said and done i need to use d-76 straight for 13 minutes when the recomended time is 5.5-6. the tonal range and grain structure was AMAZING!!! definatly a thumbs up.
    Last edited by chrisofwlp; 08-02-2006 at 09:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: oops

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rodinal, Beautiful film, prone to scratches
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris,

Welcome to APUG.

I see you've just recently joined. Try searching on Efke 25 with the Search box at the upper right of the page. You'll get a number of thoughts on Efke 25 that have already been posted in 455 separate threads. I'm not trying to be glib, just pointing to a resource that you might not have tried.

Have you got more specific questions?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, with that amount of time, it should have been completely toasted (about 5 stops over-developed). What asa did you use? What type of light did you have? What subject matter? Can you post an image?

There are a lot of people here who use a very dilute developer (HC110, Rodinal, Pyrocat-hd) and longer times, because this film reacts so violently to over development and has such tight grain. Are you sure you didn't get the 50 or 100? tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try rodial stand dev 1:200 for 2 hours
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Chris, with that amount of time, it should have been completely toasted (about 5 stops over-developed). What asa did you use? What type of light did you have? What subject matter? Can you post an image?

There are a lot of people here who use a very dilute developer (HC110, Rodinal, Pyrocat-hd) and longer times, because this film reacts so violently to over development and has such tight grain. Are you sure you didn't get the 50 or 100? tim

i exposed the film at iso 25, my profile pic should sufice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisofwlp
    any thoughts?

i recently purchased some iso 25 and had some trouble with the recomended development time. after all was said and done i need to use d-76 straight for 13 minutes when the recomended time is 5.5-6. the tonal range and grain structure was AMAZING!!! definatly a thumbs up.
    Manufacturers development times are starting points and should be adjusted to yield the contrast you need for your own unique working practice and personal preference.
    Contrary to popular belief, some photographers find they need more development than the manufacturers recommend with certain film types.
    Looks like you found a time that suits you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=Keith Tapscott.]Contrary to popular belief, some photographers find they need more development than the manufacturers recommend with certain film types.[QUOTE]

YES!

The 'underdevelopment Mafia' have far too much of a stranglehold.

My STARTING point nowadays is 10% above the manufacturers' recommended times, and that's with generous exposure. This is for negs that print well on grade 2-1/2, and I'm already using contrasty (but very low flare) non-SLR lenses for Leicas, Alpas and LF.

Some Zone Puritans will immediately conclude that I am ignorant, incompetent, etc. Tough. You are absolutely spot on. Many need less: a few need more.

Cheers,

R. (at Plymouth College 1961-69, now in France: www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is it ok to dev tri-x in d761+1 for 14 min? tri-x is the only film i have now
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Is it ok to dev tri-x in d761+1 for 14 min? tri-x is the only film i have now
    All I am saying is that you should develop your film to the desired contrast that you need for your own working system. If you need more contrast, you increase the development until you get the contrast you need. If you need less contrast, you reduce it in small increments until you find your `ideal` contrast level. There is no such thing as a correct development time that suits every individuals needs or preferences, you fine-tune it suit yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin