Hi,

I developed both sheets of film (TMAX 400). I developed one for the time appropriate for a SBR 5 scene and the other for the time appropriate for a SBR 6 scene. Both were developed in D-76 1:1. I printed both negatives this weekend. The results: both produce acceptable prints, but the one developed as an SBR 5 scene is the better print. Details of the headstone that are crisp and apparent in this print are not nearly as well rendered in the print developed for as a SBR 6 scene.

Now, before anyone bases their headstone metering techniques on this experience, be warned that this was not the most scientific of studies. For one thing, the sheet I developed as an SBR 6 scene was originally exposed for development as a SBR 5 scene. I reduced development when Sandy King suggested, logically, that I would probably end up with too much contrast. I suspect that if I given it the greater exposure a SBR 6 metering would have required, the differences in the negatives and resulting prints would have been minimized.

Secondly, the prints are kallitypes, so a little extra contrast may be less damaging here than if I were printing on, say, silver enlarging paper. Furthermore, I was cheating a bit with my numbers. Operating on the assumption that a skilled printer's BTZS numbers are somewhat transferable, I took Dick Arentz's figures for D76 1:1 in his "Platinum and Palladium Printing" and increased them by 30%. (He recommends an increase of 20% over the platinum figures he lists in the appendix to get to the 1.6 he favors for palladium.) So, I assumed 30% above the platinum numbers would get me to the roughly 1.8 needed for kallitypes. I think I am close, but to tell the truth, a 40% increase seems like it might be warranted based on the results of some other negatives I developed. [Any thoughts on this issue would be welcome.] Given this, I may have unerdeveloped a bit and metering the headstone as a flat 5 stop scene might have been a bit much had I developed it as long as perhaps I should have. More testing is needed.

-Paul