Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,167   Online: 1066

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Throw-away film?

I've recently gotten back 10 rolls of film I'd shot over a rather long period, but hadnt had the money to develop. It was a mix of Fuji Superia 800, 100, Ilford XP2 400 and the majority were Konica-Minolta VX100 I got pretty cheap. Basically the worst shots were on the VX100.
    I like 100ISO film and I've gotten good results with VX400 before, so what went wrong? since the film was so cheap I ended up throwing the shots away playing with my new Canonet, pretty basic stuff with terrible exposure, so now I have a handful of pointless negative sheets in my big ol' folder. Since it was cheap and plentiful I guess I didn't really care, where as with the Superia 100 I got some good shots as I've always liked the film, so I paid a lot more attention.
    Has anyone else found themselves influenced by their opinion of the film when they're shooting?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I mainly shoot "the good stuff" but for a lot of years my wife used one of those mail order developers for her P&S snaps. They often came back with a couple of rolls of film (surprise! - shoot more - order more pics) of a no-name variety.

When I occassionally grabbed a roll for some "real shooting" yes, I think I did shoot with more abandon than if I had a roll of K or F in the camera.....

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I get the same horrible results irrespectibe of my opinion of the film being used. If, I were to be the type of person to look at thje bright side of things, I would be happy about my consistancy. Looking at the bright side of things just is not me, yahno.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have tried both Fuji and Konica. I used some Konica in Malta. Admittedly I was fairly new to colour printing then but I used Konica later when I got better and used Fuji as well. Konica has a different signature and one that never quite caught the colours as I remembered them like Fuji.They were muted but not as pleasantly as Agfa and certain shades of blue didn't look quite right.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I get good satisfying results with the VX100 film especially in the daylight in the summer time. It's a decent color film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I always try to make good photos regardless of the type of film being used, but they end up mostly being crap. Probably I am more influenced by the camera I am using than what film it contains, you're going to put more thought into taking photos with a meduim format camera than when using a disposable camera, for example.

I have had some good results with Konica VX100 and VX400, although it's nothing special, I don't mind it as an everyday snapshot film. I feel that the Konica film has much less saturated colours than the equivalent Fuji or Kodak films.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've bought a few rolls of film via eBay. I think of these rolls as "mystery film" because I've no idea how old most of it is or how it was stored. Therefore, I tend to use this film for testing cameras, experimenting with techniques, etc. I'm also unlikely to use a type of film I've never used before for anything important. Other than that, I usually don't treat any particular brand or type of film as "more disposable" than any other type. I do, however, pick films with characteristics that I think will suit my subjects. I notice more differences among B&W films than among color print films, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel B
    I think I always try to make good photos regardless of the type of film being used, but they end up mostly being crap. Probably I am more influenced by the camera I am using than what film it contains, you're going to put more thought into taking photos with a meduim format camera than when using a disposable camera, for example.

I have had some good results with Konica VX100 and VX400, although it's nothing special, I don't mind it as an everyday snapshot film. I feel that the Konica film has much less saturated colours than the equivalent Fuji or Kodak films.
    Format influences the quantity of the photos that I take, based solely on economics. I shoot, easily, three to four times the number of frames in 35mm as I do in 120 (c-41); simply because of the cost of processing/printing.

This summer I spending more time shooting color 120, because I've got a pile of it in the fridge and it needs to "see the light" soon. Most of it is Konica Pro 160. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I've been very inpressed with the Fuji stuff I've been using.

Anyone with exposure suggestions for the Konica stuff, please speak up! I'm rating it at box speed and bracketing downward by a stop.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm always interested in trying new films. Currently I'm finishing a 4-pack of rebranded Ferrania (Kroger). The first roll I considered strictly throw-away. The second I used for a project where all I needed were web-resolution close-ups. The other 2 I'll use for everyday snapshooting and nothing serious, since the overall performance was disappointing. Not even close to the performance you get out of the green and yellow boxes.

The one film I have an off and on relationship with, which I kind of alternately love and question, is the rebranded Agfa, formerly sold by Walgreens, and currently being closed out in favor of Fuji. I shot a lot of it last fall and winter ($.70 some cents per roll) and it has this subdued vintage Ektachromish feel to the color, and this kind of rough edge to it that makes it work well for urban scenes, particularly in the winter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am more careful with slides and i just meter for shadows for b&w
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin