Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,722   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Images
    Well here we go again.

If you do not want your picture taken then fine but in public you cannot assume you have that right to privacy, Anyte. It is the way it is. I don't like my picture taken either but I do accept that I may be in someone elses photo, if I am in public.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by anyte
    Why should I care about your rights when you are so indifferent to my rights?
    Dear Anyte,

Because legally, there is no such right as you claim. On the other hand, the right that I claim -- the right to do anything lawful in a public place, including taking pictures -- does exist. You may not approve of this, but it is the law. Fortunately.

If someone wishes to be above the law, perhaps they should be required to explain themselves. As it was, I gave the benefit of the doubt to the original poster, and provided what I believe to be an honest, accurate, legal answer.

I'd also suggest that there are plenty of times when anyone might wish not to be photographed, but that most reasonable people are able to shrug this off as a trivial infringement of imagined rights.

I did say that surprisingly many photographers will take hints. If they won't -- well, as I said, the subject's options are limited.

Cheers,

Roger

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i do a lot of street shooting, which includes strangers. If they indicate they don't want their picture taken i respect that desire.

Strange as it seems i have people come up and ask me to take their photo. Which i always do when asked, and then send them a copy. It is the least that can be done.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    i do a lot of street shooting, which includes strangers. If they indicate they don't want their picture taken i respect that desire.
    Dear Ann,

Precisely. You take the hint. Most photographers do, myself included.

But if the photographer won't take the hint, there's not a lot the subject can do about it.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    After my last reply, a further thought struck me.

With the rise of 'citizen journalism' agencies such as www.scoopt.com or www.citizenimage.com, an exaggerated aversion to having one's picture taken may exacerbate the problem. There are so many 'celebrities' today that most of us look more or less like one of them (or their father, or lover, or whatever), and throwing hysterics (or any approximation thereto) may well encourage people to believe we ARE celebrities and to take more pictures. Indeed, passers-by may join in, hoping to have a front-page exclusive of a fight between paparazzi and celebrities.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know how to stop people from taking pictures of me either but I don't really care. I never want to have my picture taken. I never have my portrait taken except for things like passport, driver license etc.. I never would pose for any photographer. However, if someone wants to take my picture I never make any attempt to stop them. It seems to work as really nobody wants to take picture of me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can see both sides of this coin.

My 12 y/o son hates having his photo taken. Mostly, we oblige. But sometimes, well - I'm the boss and relatives want photos, and we're going to get them. But many times, we'll also warn him of what we're doing so he can skip being in the photo. Give and take.

I have already learned all the tricks for avoiding photos, from my son, mentioned above.

OTOH, I have my photo taken by semi-strangers all the time. I write, and sometimes speak, mostly about motorcycle and motorcycle travel. As a result, at rallies I'm in the strange position of being asked if I'd mind if so-and-so had their photo taken with me. Since I'm very average-looking, I take it as high praise that they enjoy my speech / writing enough to bother taking a photo of me, and I always say yes, and do my best to look good when the camera is pointed my way. Even if my best isn't all that great, is *is* me in the photo, and the photo will likely be accurate.

I sort of like it. It's a huge compliment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At the shows, I keep a Bill Clinton mask handy for just this reason, no one would purposely shoot that ugly mug!

Shooter
    35mm
    Get a small electronic flash with a slave attached and point it at the camera that will be taking your photo. OK.. so this is only good if they are using flash.

Contact you friendly armory and get smoke grenades..flash bang grenades will also stimy the chicken hearted...these items may cause a bit of throuble way out of proportion to their worth.

Pepper spray and mace are another way to get yourself in trouble while avoiding having your photo taken.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you for your answers. here is more info

I appreciate everyones answers.

As to reason why I have asked this question.

I work for a very wealthy individual that wishes to remain anonymous.

He has on many occasions expressed to me, that because of who he is. He is tired of being photographed.

He understands that photographers have a right to photograph in public.

However he feels that at times they can go to far.

IE: hiding in trees to get pictures. trepassing on private property.

He says that no matter where he goes someone is always there with a camera.

He tells me stories of the past, when photographers would respect a person. "all you use to have to do was just ask them not to, and they would. Now they don't care."

He feels that even though there is a right to photgraph in public, he feels that a certain amount of "common sense" should be used when taking somones pictures.

He does not want anyone to think he never wants his picture taken, but he says there is a time and place for everything.

He has asked me to find a way to construct a device that can render someone taking a picture useless, and does not care how much it cost.

To protect his privacy I can not reveal his identity, however everyone knows who he is.

Once again all replies are greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin