Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,523   Posts: 1,598,289   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Magnetic pulse

To the person that suggested a magnetic pulse.

Although that idea might work with digital camers, he does not wish to damage the persons personal property. Also anyone else who has an electronic device he would not like to damage their property also.

He would forever be in court having to replace all these devices that have been rendered useless.

Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keico
    To the person that suggested a magnetic pulse.

Although that idea might work with digital camers, he does not wish to damage the persons personal property. Also anyone else who has an electronic device he would not like to damage their property also.

He would forever be in court having to replace all these devices that have been rendered useless.

Thanks again
    It was in jest
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I appreciate everyones answers.

As to reason why I have asked this question.

I work for a very wealthy individual that wishes to remain anonymous.

He has on many occasions expressed to me, that because of who he is. He is tired of being photographed.

He understands that photographers have a right to photograph in public.

However he feels that at times they can go to far.

IE: hiding in trees to get pictures. trepassing on private property.

He says that no matter where he goes someone is always there with a camera.

He tells me stories of the past, when photographers would respect a person. "all you use to have to do was just ask them not to, and they would. Now they don't care."

He feels that even though there is a right to photgraph in public, he feels that a certain amount of "common sense" should be used when taking somones pictures.

He does not want anyone to think he never wants his picture taken, but he says there is a time and place for everything.

He has asked me to find a way to construct a device that can render someone taking a picture useless, and does not care how much it cost.

To protect his privacy I can not reveal his identity, however everyone knows who he is.

Once again all replies are greatly appreciated.
    Perhaps he could try a Burhka? Not sure I have the spelling right.... but head-to-toe coverage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest that you ask, or study, the people with very famous faces who are not pestered by photographers, who can live like Joe Nobody. Technology will not give you an answer.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    He has asked me to find a way to construct a device that can render someone taking a picture useless, and does not care how much it cost.
    I hope you mean he wants to render the picture useless, not the person!

Seriously, there is no practical way of doing this. There was a paper a while back about auto-sensing of CCDs (which are very highly retroflective) but this only works with non-SLR cameras and in confined spaces.

With silver halide, cameras can be taken almost anywhere, as demonstrated by the famous Ruth Snyder execution pictures (1927) and a well-built mechanical camera is very hard to render inoperable without physical force.

There is however a story about Einstein complaining that he was recognized everywhere he went. He was not impressed with the answer given by one friend: "Get a haircut."

While I have some sympathy with your boss -- it must be very vexing to be photographed all the time like this -- I'd also suggest that the fact he is a very rich man is probably related to the opportunities for wealth creation in the modern world. Photography, especially 'celebrity' photography (for want of a better phrase), is an integral part of that modern world, so it goes with the territory.

So I have mixed feelings about the fact I can't help. On the one hand, I like being able to solve photographic problems. On the other, I can't help feeling that such a device (if it could be made, and I see no way that it can) might do more harm than good.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my photograph taken hundreds of times in a night. Right now i don't mind in the least. Hell I'm flattered they want a pic of me. In fact now that I only occupy one person space, I find it amusing that I'm being photographed. I did think about this for a while. Wouldn't it be novel if you had those same papparazi following you all of a sudden have you go up and start looking at their equipment with interest? Take your camera along and compare. Talk shop and look at some of their images. Become a buddy to them. Who know you might even take pictures of them as a gang of photogs or what I call pea of pappies. Pea meaning peabrained. What photographer doesn't like to talk about their equipment and shop? it might surprise the hell out of them and actually get them so they would respect you enough to acede to your wishes of non invasion of privacy. Either that or electrify the trees they climb in. So long as the trees are on your side of the property it is a torte and by breaking one blade of grass they are breaking the law, so you would have the right to electrify your trees. (mildly shocking)
    Non Digital Diva

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they are trespassing, take their pictures, with a very powerful flash, pointed directly at their lenses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    So long as the trees are on your side of the property it is a torte and by breaking one blade of grass they are breaking the law, so you would have the right to electrify your trees. (mildly shocking)
    Mere trespass is seldom regarded as an actionable tort in the UK. The same is I believe true of at least some US jurisdictions. There are also some quite hard cases about proportionality of response. As you say, 'mildly shocking' ain't a problem but another rule of tort is that you take your victim as you find him.

Of course you could argue that the electric fences are to keep your peacocks in, and I don't think many judges would go behind that argument. But it must be a close-run thing whether peacocks or paparazzi are more irritating.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    It is not unreasonable for someone to not appreciate having their picture taken. And regardless of the law, I insist that I have a right, as an individual living in a country of freedom, not to be photographed. When someone is willing to provide me with the means to remain indoors and out of the sight of photographic lenses then I will agree that I have no assumption of privacy when in public. Currently, I have no option but to leave my home for my own well-being and the well-being of my child and I should be able to care for myself and my family without being stalked, tracked, exposed, etc.

The point that some photographers know to take a hint has nothing to do with my comments, as my comments were directed to people who attach negative connotation to those who choose not to be photographed. A person doesn't have to be a criminal or have low self-esteem to choose not to be photographed. To think so it immature at best. And again, it's this kind of attitude that makes me less inclined to care about photographers being hassled by law enforcement in public. Perhaps it's this kind of arrogance that has caused the harrassment to escalate.

If you cannot respect me, my opinions, and my rights, then don't expect that I will respect you, your opinions, or your rights.

And lastly, you can tell me I'm wrong, but the law doesn't make me wrong, it just means the law is not in my favor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always find it so funny, that those of us who choose to participate in the sport, profession or hobby of what is called photography seem to be some of the most ardent opponents of being photographed! Seems to be quite the oxymoron to me, heck I can't count the number of times, I have ended up in someones photograph, many of the events I have photographed over the years has been attended by hundreds of photographers at the same time, so if I were to worry about being photographed, I would have starved over the years!

Dave

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin