Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,720   Posts: 1,670,092   Online: 797

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Spot meters tend to be smaller and more convenient to use than 35mm cameras, particularly if you mount a lens on your N90 so that the field of view is comparable.

Shooter
    35mm
    spot meter more ergonomic. spot meter measure smaller more accurate angle of acceptance. me vote for spot meter.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless using one of my Leica R series cameras (which have spot reading capabilities) I opt for carrying a 1 degree digital spot meter when using my medium and large format cameras. Though the spot reading capabilities for working with the 35mm cameras may be more flexible (reading for manual and automatic modes) and faster with these cameras, I find the spot meter easier, more practical, smaller,lighter, and as stated more ergonomic when using the larger formats. Additionally, with the 35mm camera as you change the lens focal length you change the size (angle) of spot metering. This option may require you to carry additional lenses.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I certainly can't add anything to the discussion from a technical standpoint. I will say that I used to carry a D-SLR to use as a meter(don't worry, I sold the silly thing). It was somewhat awkward to use. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Pentax digital spotmeter and I love it. It's incredibly easy to use, small and accurate. I would recomend getting a spotmeter for sure. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu View Post
    I decided to go with the N90s, ...
    After being on the shelf for years your thread prompted
    me to start work with my Oly OM2000. At 70mm I've a
    5+ degree spot and 2 EV sensitivity. My old Sekonic
    will deliver 1 EV and 8+ degrees but won't take
    pictures.

I wonder at times why I should be interested in spot
    metering. Years ago a Weston was plenty good enough.
    Seventy years ago the Zone system was likely nursed
    forward with the use of such meters. For that matter,
    IIRC, Phil Davis suggests an incidence meter be used.

As for Spot meters, I personally doubt I,d care for so
    narrow as a 1 degree. I've a more recent Sekonic
    5 degree plus incidence. Quit on me. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some very good points in this thread, and I wish I'd read them before making my choices! I bought the Nikon F80 (N80) on the grounds that it was the same price/cheaper than a real spotmeter, but found that many times I'd check out a scene with this before setting up the 5x4 and end up just taking a 35mm shot. Absolutely nothing wrong with this of course, but it tended to undermine the idea of having a 5x4 in the first place, especially if the shot suited the 3:2 ratio.

I eventually bought the Gossen Spotmaster and it is a serious piece of kit, including zone scales if you want to use them. Regardless of your lens size, your chosen filter can be readily held over the Spotmaster's small sensor before fitting it, so a bit of time saved there. I'd say carry on using the 35mm meantime, but plan ahead for a good spotmeter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about using a digital camera as a light meter I've done that before.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin