Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,664   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    That, he tongue in cheek asked, is what makes you an artist..avoiding what you know will work?

Correct!!!! How else does one expand upon what already exists? If it is merely repetitious it has no need to exist...at least in my view of things.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I would suggest that the primary influence on the photograph is camera placement, lens and film choice and when the photography is taken as opposed to exposure and development which are less influential.

Mr. Miller, I am hopeful that you are NOT claiming that an artist cannot produce art by using a proven technique.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I would suggest that the primary influence on the photograph is camera placement, lens and film choice and when the photography is taken as opposed to exposure and development which are less influential.

Mr. Miller, I am hopeful that you are NOT claiming that an artist cannot produce art by using a proven technique.
    Not at all. I think however, that future history will prove (as it has in existing history) the art this time will have produced will have been by stretching the boundaries of what already exists. Redundancy is well...redundant. Agreed?

I would go on to disagree in part with the other part of your dissertation. I would say that the primary influence on a meaningful photograph is what lies within the chest cavity and between the ears of the photographer. All else is simply bells and whistles...
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 09-27-2006 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling and grammar
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh Donald, I guess that I have no more opportunity to chuff you. Certainly, I am not the least bit against people learning more or trying new techniques.

I just thought that your original premise, as I understood it to be stated, was, shall I say, a trifle overblown. Although I did understand what you meant. Which is the reason I asked a rhetorical, tongue in cheek question.

I will leave it to others as to whether or not Mr. Donald Miller produces art. I am more than convinced that he produces marvelous photographs.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The zone system helps me get the results I want. It's all about understanding your materials and how they behave. No different than a painter understanding how oil paints look when they dry down. So, how does that stifle creativity?

Shooter
    8x10 Format

repetition

Donald,
    You eschew repetition of technical matters yet a look at your work shows that as an aesthetic marker, repetition is what your work, in large part, is about.
    The zone system or any technical exercise is simply a way to prevent yourself from having to reinvent the wheel every time you make an exposure in the camera or make a print in the darkroom. Do it again and again and again and..........eventually you will be able to intuit any situation and make it anything that you want. You know the one about the guy in NYC who asks someone," Hey buddy, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Severian, autarch of urth, Jack

Shooter
    8x10 Format

ferrari spark plugs

another thought:
    the person who designs the ferrari engine has an intimate knowledge of how the spark plugs work and has probably changed hundreds of them

Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin