Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,390   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Zone system exposure

quick question, is it better to point the light meter at the darkest area u want texture in and expose -2? or is it better to ajust using a zone scale according to the density you see by your eye?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Neither is really correct according to the full zone system, but the first one is closest. That's also what I do most of the time.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    quick question, is it better to point the light meter at the darkest area u want texture in and expose -2? or is it better to ajust using a zone scale according to the density you see by your eye?
    The Zone System is a methodology that is aimed at arriving at a print tone that corresponds to a luminance in the subject/scene in a predictable, repeatable, and self determined manner. Thus to make a blanket statement of "I place my shadows at Zone III or IV, as is fairly common among ZS practitioners" is going to provide one with exposures that consistantly illustrate that which they photograph in the same way.

This system of rote adherance to methods is the methodology of someone who is a mechanic and not an artist. I make this statement because when one has learned the methodology than one should no longer be a slave to the methodology. By illustration, there is a world of difference between the fellow who replaces the spark plugs in my automobile's engine and the design engineer that designs a new model Ferrari.

Artists create and automatons repeat.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 09-24-2006 at 02:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well said Donald.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    ...when one has learned the methodology than one should no longer be a slave to the methodology. .

Ditto!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald
    ...Artists create and automatons repeat...
    Ditto!

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea would be to measure the lowest value for which you see discernable detail and place that meter reading on the Zone of your choosing.

Shooter
    35mm
    That, he tongue in cheek asked, is what makes you an artist..avoiding what you know will work?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    The idea would be to measure the lowest value for which you see discernable detail and place that meter reading on the Zone of your choosing.
    Actually, I think you want to identify the deepest shadow area for which you WANT TO SEE discernable detail, and place that on the Zone of your choosing.

The Zone system is a process to repeatably produce desired results, and you have to know what result you desire before you can use it knowlegably.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Actually, I think you want to identify the deepest shadow area for which you WANT TO SEE discernable detail...
    Right you are!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin