Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,839   Online: 739

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Halloween Portraits

So, big costume party this year.. The host has made all kinds of crazy ceramic backdrops and has been working on the house for weeks now... I want to really take some good shots and maybe even set up a little portrait area.

I am shooting B&W... Probably my 645 system... I think I want to use some Delta 3200, shot at 800 maybe. I want to use my Vivitar 285, probably on a tripod for the portraits and on a Custom Designs bracket for candid stuff. Maybe at 1/2 or 1/4 power to compensate for the faster film?? Anyway... I want some grain and I want a lot of contrast... Skreeching whites and very heavy blacks, but with some detail......... Its been awhile since I have developed my own film so I want to maybe do this lot myself so I can enhance some things...

Anyone have any tips to obtain the look I am going for?? Am I on the right track at all??

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use polaroids at my Halloween parties. The kids always need instant gratification. Expired Type 57 mostly that I get from the local dealer.

If I could afford it, I would get the sepia tone stuff, but it is very expensive.

I've got a couple of skeletons to pose with this year. I want to try "ghost" shots too by turning off the flash and telling one of them to hold really still while the other one walks out of the frame after a couple of seconds. Or maybe use a torch to paint one of them but not the other.

I'm using an old hot light hooked up to this machine that responds to sound to make lightning. You play a CD of thunder and it turns the light on and off...

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmmm. Maybe I need to bring the other tripod....... Do some 2 exposure shots..... One with a person, and one without, while I have a second person in for both....... Ghost shots.... Good idea..... Anyone know how to hold the film advance on a Pentax 645? Double exposure?

Also, yeah, I will be printing on some warm tone stuff and probably doing some extra toning to give more warmth.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure you should use flash with Delta 3200... it's great stuff for low light, candlelight, flashlights held up to faces from below! With a flash on camera, I'm not sure that grain structure will look as attractive as it does in low light. I would stick to a 100 speed or 400 speed film for that, maybe use a slow shutter with a rear curtain pop of the flash to create some "ghost" like images.

Sounds like fun!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy View Post
    Not sure you should use flash with Delta 3200... it's great stuff for low light, candlelight, flashlights held up to faces from below! With a flash on camera, I'm not sure that grain structure will look as attractive as it does in low light. I would stick to a 100 speed or 400 speed film for that, maybe use a slow shutter with a rear curtain pop of the flash to create some "ghost" like images. Sounds like fun!
    Ha ha... I'm not sure "attractive" is the look I am going for..... I don't have anything to compare to but I am wanting these to be slightly blown out. I want some grain as well..... I want decent negatives to print with but I want lots of contrast, grain and I will probably be adding some texture with solarization, printing through scratched glass. Some warm toning and drips and runs with spot toner, etc......... Also, the flash will be dialed down and shot about a foot or so above the camera, also off camera, on a tripod.... Setting the flash at 400iso, but dialing it down to 1/2 or 1/4....... I will certainly use your ideas as well.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking forward to seeing your images, and don't forget, you can always give tri-x a major, say, 4 stop push for "fun with grain"!!

Can you test a few rolls ahead of time, just to see how to get the look you are after? I just find when things get too "bright" with the Delta 3200 (bright sun, bright light) it can get blocked up on the neg, and not in a good way, but with all the darkroom stuff you are planning, it really may not matter which film you choose!

No matter what you decide to do... post the results!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Polaroid Portraits

For several years I made portraits of the trick or treaters that came to my door on Halloween using a Polaroid 600 camera. I gave the print to the trick or treater with some candy.

This year they will need to settle for candy since my camera got smashed recently.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    my camera got smashed recently.
    Ouch!! That blows.....

I really want to shoot some poloroid film....... 559 or whatever the film is that makes a print and a neg....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
    Ouch!! That blows.....

I really want to shoot some poloroid film....... 559 or whatever the film is that makes a print and a neg....
    Medium format P/N 665 has been discontinued, so get it while you can. When it runs out, if you want a Polaroid neg, you'll need to use 4x5" Type 55.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin