Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,653   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

can anyone decipher Graham Clarke

I have been reading Clarke's book The Photograph and i am particularly stuck by a sentence that i have tried to work out in chapter 9, The Photograph as Fine Art. The bottom of the first photograph states De Zayas called art photography "pure". This i understand but what baffles me is this, "a conceptual idealization of form which seeks a realization free of all representative systems". ????????

any ideas???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark king View Post
    I have been reading Clarke's book The Photograph and i am particularly stuck by a sentence that i have tried to work out in chapter 9, The Photograph as Fine Art. The bottom of the first photograph states De Zayas called art photography "pure". This i understand but what baffles me is this, "a conceptual idealization of form which seeks a realization free of all representative systems". ????????

any ideas???
    Although it's my solution to most quandaries, a little alcohol may help the situation. Or at least create a new situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "a conceptual idealization of form which seeks a realization free of all representative systems"
    Photographing the reflection and refraction of light from sources and surfaces, not to illustrate or represent those objects but rather, for the expression of compsitional elements such as line, rhythm, balance, contrast, etc as abstract elements of design. Abstract photographs of concrete objects...

Shooter
    35mm
    I am tempted to think one may be better off getting a Donald Duck comic book.

If an author makes an explanation or statement that is filled with enough crap that nobody can clearly understand what is meant or intended then the author is free of being easily disputed. This I believe is by design.

There is much of this type of crap written.

When you run into this type junk, set it aside and try another author who may have something worthwhile in elightening you about the subject you wish to educate yourself in.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 11-03-2006 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added to my comments.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    .... "a conceptual idealization of form which seeks a realization free of all representative systems"....
    Youse guys see, it like 'dis; if ya' wanna' be taken serious-like in da' art woild, ya' gotta talk pompous-like. Elsewise, nobody gonna' think you smart!

Or in other words, as every college sophmore knows: "If you cannot dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bullshit!"

Shooter
    Large Format

any ideas???
    I may be wrong but my interpertation of this is that photography as art is a far different matter than photography as illustration. When we draw this distinction then and only then can we begin to grasp what the author is expressing. I encourage those who do not understand to draw this distinction and then, perhaps, the understanding will become clearer.

When we look at photography as primarily illustrative then we seek to render "form" as a "known object". When we add or perhaps more precisely substitute the additional aspect of "photography as art" then we are not concerned with rendering form as a known object. In this latter manner, form can become art apart from a known object. In fact, I believe quite strongly that it is only in this latter manner that photography becomes truly artistic.

Not surprising, to me, is that when people fail to grasp a concept their first order of business is to demonize the person propogating a previously unknown or unrecognized concept.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 11-03-2006 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

any ideas???
    As a successful fine art photographer well known to most on this forum has said so profoundly:

"Art is about space. Illustration is about things."

I think this is what Clarke or De Zayas is trying to say in a more jargonistic way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    . Abstract photographs of concrete objects...
    See how easy it is Mr. Clarke (or De Zayas...the attribution isn't clear to me)?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had my fill of this type of diatribe in art school and it was mostly from art critics and over tenured professors trying to impress. The real artists didn't talk as such or try to define, they just create.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I am tempted to think one may be better off getting a Donald Duck comic book.

If an author makes an explanation or statement that is filled with enough crap that nobody can clearly understand what is meant or intended then the author is free of being easily disputed. This I believe is by design.

There is much of this type of crap written.

When you run into this type junk, set it aside and try another author who may have something worthwhile in elightening you about the subject you wish to educate yourself in.
    You can say that again! I'm SO tired of having to read this type of pointless tripe in graduate school that the thought of suffering it on my time makes me want to scream. In my experience, when somone writes with that much superfluous verbage they don't really have anything to say that is worth hearing.

- Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin