Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,555   Online: 957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Image "How was it done?" Question

This is an old family image (Uncles Mother) from circa 1910. The remains of the image are on a heavy paper/card with the remnants of a postcard mark on the back.

I really like the feel of the portrait and so would like anyones educated guesses on how it was produced, which process, camera, lens type etc would have been likely to have used

Size is/was normal postcard size

Thanks

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Phil, can't help you in any way, shape or form but, I'd just like to say what a beautiful woman she was. Regards, Blights
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My guess is that it was contact printed on a contact printing paper such as Kodak Azo was. From what I've seen and read, this was quite a well used process in that era, especially for the post card photos.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Phil,

I think the secret is more with the photographer than the equipment. The posing here is masterfully subtle. Look at the curves such as that formed by the shadow of the collar, the folding of the collar, the sweep of the hair, curve of the neck formed by the twist of her body and turn of the head, etc. The camera angle is low and thus probably deliberate. The background is lit to fade into the the foreground. This is a photograph of a beautiful woman by a photographer who has paid great attention to detail. It is remarkable in its nuance and effect.

My guess is commonplace studio camera equipment of the period was simply used very carefully. That might have been something like a studio view camera with multiplying or reducing back and perhaps a lens such as a rapid rectilinear or anastigmat. A visit to http://www.cameraeccentric.com/ will reveal many equipment catalogs of the day.

Joe

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My guess fwiw: Kodak 4a Studio camera with a Wollensak Velostigmat 12" used at f4.5 on 5X7 film. I'm gussing 12" at f4.5 because of the shallow depth of field. Still it is of the "smooth / sharp" persuasion which indicates an Anastigmat like the Wolly. A Heliar of 12 or 14" would look very similar.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Possibly taken with something as simple as a Kodak 3A type camera and then contact printed on a emulsion coated postcard.

http://www.vintagephoto.tv/postcard1.shtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If she is your uncle's mother, doesn't that make her your grandmother?
    If that is the case, have you inherited anything from her?
    I mean that in a normal way as I have my grandmothers (fathers side) body shape, but my grandfathers (mothers side) constitution.
    Genes are interesting when you have pictures of past members and can observe current family members for looks or traits.
    Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lower portion of the image was probably also vignetted out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    If she is your uncle's mother, doesn't that make her your grandmother?
    If that is the case, have you inherited anything from her?
    I mean that in a normal way as I have my grandmothers (fathers side) body shape, but my grandfathers (mothers side) constitution.
    Genes are interesting when you have pictures of past members and can observe current family members for looks or traits.
    Mick.

Mick
    My Aunt(Fathers sister) is married to the son of this woman, which makes him my Uncle. No direct relationship though.
    I only met this Lady when she was in her early seventies so she looked quite different

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ortho film/plate, then hand colored/toned afterwords ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin