Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 981

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I took it serious until this part
    What amateurs do not know is that, in focusing, the only difference between them and the professionals is the amount of film used: the professionals have merely learned not to save film, but rather to shoot as many rolls as possible so that, with luck, they will at least have one reasonably sharp picture that serves their purpose.
    I know that's reasonably wrong because it seems with the more experience I gain, the less I am actually wasting film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Damn, all my photographs for the last 34 years are out of focus! I didn't know. Thanks so much for pointing out what isn't apparent to my eye. I must be lost in my own "circle of confusion."

Grin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, brought to you by the author of time cube?

The point of photography is that we don't require an exact point of focus. As long as it looks in focus, we're good to go. Photography, for most of us, is more art than science.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To put my point of view another way, I think it's important to think about both focus and resolution. Resolution is affected by a variety of things such as the lens, the film emulsion and how it is developed and the paper emulsion and how it's developed. For any combination of resolution-tempering-factors there is a limit to which perfect focus can be reproduced. Within those limits...point a camera at something...focus on something...even casually and make a picture. Something at some distance will be at the distance of perfect focus whether you know what that thing is or what that distance is. Perfect focus happens. It (within these parameters) cannot be *avoided*.

The ability to adjust the camera to place that point of perfect focus where we want it is what's in question. Pretend for a moment that your equipment offers absolutely no impediment. First of all, the point of perfect focus is subjective. Second of all we don't have perfect eyes, even if it were objective and thirdly, we still can achieve focus *within* the limiting factors of resolution.

So, even if he's right and at the theorhetical level our technology is imperfect, It. Does. Not. Matter. Subjectivity, imperfect eyes and resolution will result in no better result even if we have access to perfectfocusing technology.

Shooter
    35mm
    People that get worked up about a technical non issue to the point of prostelization like this just need to get out and take some pictures.
    If you are that freaked out about focus, just measure it.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-02-2007 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    out of focus or in focus, it really doesn't matter, does it ?
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Astendig's lack of focus was only one example of the effects of destructive interference on the various vibrational influences in his life.

Ahh psuedoscience!!
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 01-02-2007 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "What is focus and who has the right to say what focus is the legitimate focus?"

- Julia Margaret Cameron, letter to Sir John Herschel, 31 December, 1864, Heinz Archive and Library, National Portrait Gallery, London

Julia Margaret Cameron Use of Focus - Victoria and Albert Museum
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If you are that freaked out about focus, just measure it.
    HAH! Good one Jason. As the subject paper shows, measuring, or I should say, attempting to measure focus, is fast-track to analysis paralysis.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    What amateurs do not know is that, in focusing, the only difference between them and the professionals is the amount of film used: the professionals have merely learned not to save film, but rather to shoot as many rolls as possible so that, with luck, they will at least have one reasonably sharp picture that serves their purpose.

This made me laugh! So the "professional" photographers are only considered professional because they shoot more film, in result having better LUCK in getting a good picture that is in focus?

Emagine that! Wow!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin