Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,597   Online: 1287

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What is true in theory is often irrevelant in practice. Anstendig ignores that distinction. Even his theory is suspect. The Tessar can be a fine lens, but certainly not the best for everything. He should practice before he preaches. Anyone who thinks a few negatives taken on assignment with the Messraster are certain to be so perfect that the editor will be completely satisfied is arrogant almost beyond belief. Like Helen says, he obviously has no experience with parallax focusing. Perhaps his ground glass experiences were with inferior screens. Without practicing with a Messraster myself, I question the advantage of comparing two out-of-focus images over focusing on an appropriate ground glass. Despite this, we shouldn't be completely critical of someone who may desperately trying to create a market for a questionable product. Business is business, and photography is photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    What is true in theory is often irrevelant in practice. Anstendig ignores that distinction. Even his theory is suspect. The Tessar can be a fine lens, but certainly not the best for everything. He should practice before he preaches. Anyone who thinks a few negatives taken on assignment with the Messraster are certain to be so perfect that the editor will be completely satisfied is arrogant almost beyond belief. Like Helen says, he obviously has no experience with parallax focusing. Perhaps his ground glass experiences were with inferior screens. Without practicing with a Messraster myself, I question the advantage of comparing two out-of-focus images over focusing on an appropriate ground glass. Despite this, we shouldn't be completely critical of someone who may desperately trying to create a market for a questionable product. Business is business, and photography is photography.
    Oh, I dunno. I don't find it difficult to be completely critical of someone that's obfuscating photography in the name of business while camoflaging the exersize with pseudoscience.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Oh, I dunno. I don't find it difficult to be completely critical of someone that's obfuscating photography in the name of business while camoflaging the exersize with pseudoscience.
    I can't find where he is selling something. I rather think it is more the desire to be recognized as some sort of expert in photographic matters. It reminds me of the brighter bits of Mr. Terry Mester, although equally obtuse and pointless. For those who don't remember Terry's drive by, well, it really can't be explained, just experienced:

http://www.geocities.com/filmanddigitalinfo/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I loved this opener:

"Most people are deceived by the term "Digital", and falsely assume that Digital Photography is superior to Film Photography in the same way that Digital Sound / Video is most definitely superior to Analogue Sound / Video."

Compact Disks appeared in late 1983, long before the popularity of digital photography and audiophiles have been bashing sampled sound since before the first Sony Betamax-based PCM recorders were introduced. You would have no trouble finding a recording engineer that will tell you that digital sampling is fine for pictures but for serious audio, it's a horror.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You would have no trouble finding a recording engineer that will tell you that digital sampling is fine for pictures but for serious audio, it's a horror.
    On the other hand, if you asked me as an occasional recording engineer and music-lover (can't decide if I'm an audiophile), I would tell you that one of the happiest days of my life was when I quit using a 15 ips Ferrograph open-reel recorder and moved to Sony DAT. Not only infinitely lighter and virtually silent running, but a better final result.

With regard to photography, and without rekindling THAT debate yet again, I recognise as a trained pro that digital offers major economic and workflow advantages for busy studio shooters, with quality at the high end which compares favorably at least with medium-format film. But although I feel digital can be as good as film in certain circumstances, I can think of none in which it is better and many (particularly high-contrast outdoor scenes) where it is decidedly worse, with no immediate prospect of improvement.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I would tell you that one of the happiest days of my life was when I quit using a 15 ips Ferrograph open-reel recorder and moved to Sony DAT..."

...and 48 kHz 16-bit DAT is very old hat. Even Bob Clearmountain uses digital these days. Wait until DSD becomes more common.

I don't see much of an analogy with photography though.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was only pointing out that among the crowd still babying their macintosh tube amps and linn sondek's, there is much similarity to folks here at apug and that from his position he was unable to see that the superiority of the quality of digital over analog audio is no more a settled issue among those folks than it is for images among photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite so. Thanks, I see that analogy.

Best wishes,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was only pointing out that among the crowd still babying their macintosh tube amps and linn sondek's, there is much similarity to folks here at apug and that from his position he was unable to see that the superiority of the quality of digital over analog audio is no more a settled issue among those folks than it is for images among photographers.
    Yup my Linn Sondek is still in daily use.

David.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin