Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,032   Online: 965

Shooter
    35mm

Film properties at long exposures

Greetings all,

What knowledge can you masters convey about film (color & B&W) good for long exposures (7s, 9s, longer...). I hear Fuji makes a good color film for long exposures in low light, and I've seen some excellent results, but I can't recall the type. I would welcome notes and advice both general and specific.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't mention format, which may make a difference.

I don't know what you mean when you say "good for" - I regularly shoot Efke/Adox PL100 for exposures of longer than 1 second (up to several minutes) with good results. I've taken the trouble to do tests to find proper exposure and development times, as well as reciprocity.

If you mean you want to avoid reciprocity calculations in longer exposures, the T-grain films from Kodak, Fuji and Ilford all have simple adjustments.

If you mean you are looking for a color (colour) film that gives good color rendition in low light, someone else will need to answer that.
    juan

Images
    Good Evening, Justes,

Fuji CDU is good for night shots up to several minutes. If you can still locate any well-stored (frozen) Kodak 6121 Duplicating film, you can use it for exposures in the minutes range. Both of these are E-6 tungsten films with low contrast which makes them ideal for night shots.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tend to use Fuji Provia 100F, Velvia 100, and Neopan Acros 100. All of them have spectacular long exposure properties such that you barely need to adjust out to several minutes. The new T64 should be just as good, but I haven't tried it yet. I've done 40 minute exposures with very little color shifting and I do 20 minute exposures on a routine basis.

Most modern T-grain films by Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji are going to be fine out to 10-20 seconds with no adjustments or anything.

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

Thanks indeed. I'll try these out. Enjoy the hour.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin