Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,440   Online: 1003

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Inbetween Exposure Readings

What do people do when shooting slide film when the exposure meter reads something in-between the various stops? Do you always favour slight underexposure to slight over?

My Bronica SQA only has full stops on the aperture and shutter speed so I cannot set half stops

My Gossen Lunar meter often gives light readings that of course do not map these full stops

I never worry with black and white film because of the latitude and I always favour a bit extra exposure. But slide film is so much more tricky!

I know one answer is to bracket - but what other rules of thumb do people follow

Likewise when using manual flash and converting aperture readings from the flash guide charts - often I find here that over exposed settings are better

Any thoughts always appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's B+W film -- alway overexpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you set the aperture between stops? A friend of mine shoots Olympus OMs, which have no half-stop detents (IIRC) and very wide spacing between full stop detents, so he interpolates and the aperture stays where he sets it. This worked out very well for accurate exposures on demanding Velvia. He brackets in 1/3 stops. Perhaps this would work for you as well. It's been nearly 25 years since I handled a Bronica SQA, so I can't recall how it's set up in this regard.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 01-24-2007 at 02:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lee's right - if you're using the old "s" lenses which dont have the 1/2 stop settings on the aperture ring, you can still set them between stops, even though there is no proper click to stop it at - 1/3 stops are possible too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I do the same thing Lee L described, and it works with all cameras I've ever tried it with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some lenses with closely spaced, heavily detented stops will pop into a preset position when you fire the shutter, so you may need to test this procedure (setting between detents) with your equipment before relying on it. If you have half stop detents, you're still very close to ideal exposure even if the aperture ring does pop into a preset.

Lee

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not only does it work but you can see it work. Set your lens to (say)f8, depress the dof preview (which stops down the lens to the selected aperture) and turn the aperture slowly in the direction of f11. You can see it stopping down as you move the ring. You could view the aperture control as being continuous with the click stops there only to tell you that you've reached a conventional setting. Indeed you could argue that the click stops on the PS lenses make it more difficult to set a value other than full or half stop than it is on the S lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One reason I really like the designs of the Leica M5, CL, SL, and SL2 (and I believe the Canon EF also had this feature) is a continuously variable shutter speed dial on manual mode with these cameras. (There may be others that do this as well.) Just like a continuously variable aperture, you can nail your exposure with the shutter dial. Of course automatic exposure and electronic shutters brought this feature to most cameras in auto mode, but not to mechanical manual models. The models mentioned all had a large shutter dial with ridges for finger traction, and some overlapped the camera edge so that you could just roll the shutter dial with a finger to zero out the meter.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, really useful advice.

I have looked at my Bronica lenses (all older S lenses) and yes I have now found the way to set half stops - brilliant!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin