Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,657   Online: 795

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Really low light metering, is it possible?

The other night I was in the mountains and came outside to my car and found a nice moonlit scene.

What are the capabilities of light metering? I know with my built in meters on my 35mm cameras, it will only meter as low as 1/4 sec.

So, are there any meters that can meter night scenes?

Shooter
    35mm
    Spectra Candella, but there are some others that read dimmer...Somebody will tell us what they are in just a few minutes.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    ... So, are there any meters that can meter night scenes?
    g'day hammy
    it is possible to use the camera's meter by changing the ISO to it's highest setting then doing the math to get back to the actual ISO of the film in use

don't forget reciprocity failure

err on the side of over exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Gossen Profisix (Luna-Pro-something outside Europe) will meter down to Ev -8 at ISO 100. That's about an hour at f/4 before taking reciprocity failure into account. A Sekonic L-508 with a Minolta Booster II attached is two stops more sensitive than that. Whether you really need to meter down to that level is a different matter. I never bothered in full moonlight: Kodachrome 64 at f/4 for ten minutes, or so.

Ray, does changing the film speed setting on a meter make it any more sensitive?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's good to know there are some meters available that can do it but I haven't bothered for night time stuff.

Similarly to Helen I've just picked one film, one F stop and the experimented with time until there was good density on the negative. For me it's Delta 400 in Xtol 1:2, f16, and between 8 and 12 minutes for a scene with good artificial light. I think 20min+ might be good for moonlight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) See Exposure Forum "Lunar exposure time @ f10/ISO 100" my comments.

2) See FotoSharp
    "Day and Night Exposure Guide"

FotoSharp
    17837 1st Ave S, #1
    Seattle, WA 98148

800 361 8341

www.FotoSharp.com

Using this calculator for ASA 100
    Snow or sea lit by full moon - 1 minute f/4
    Landscape by full moon - 1 minute f/2.8
    Landscape by half moon; Closeup lit by full moon - 4 minutes f/4 or i minute f/2

This will cost you much less money than a meter.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Olympus OM-2 and 4 will take exposures up to 2 minutes on auto and seem to do it fairly accurately if you bias to allow for reciprocity failure. Sadly they only go down to 1 sec on manual.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Google on the "Ultimate Exposure Calculator".

It's a spreadsheet with exposures far down into the negative EV numbers. I think the lowest it goes is a summer night scene lit only by starlight. Which is different from a winter scene lit by starlight reflecting on snow... Which is different from a moonlit night scene, etc.

I've shot as far / slow as a moonlit winter scene, and found the UEC to be accurate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Pentax LX will also meter down to EV -6.5 in Auto (aperture priority) mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can boost the effective sensitivity of a meter by almost 3 stops by metering a white card in the same way you would use a grey card, and applying a correction.

Though I would do some tests on any meter not designed for low light work. linearity tends to suffer at the extremes.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin