Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,801   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have to admit that if I were doing color I would end up going partially or completely digital.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    75% B&W, because I enjoy its abstract quality and ability to be manipulated in processing and printing to emphasize the quality of light and interpretation of the subject.

I seem to shoot color based on the format. In 35mm I seem to always lean to the highly saturated color films and more colorful subjects. Sports and public events come to mind. In larger formats I usually lean to color films that can be manipulated for more washed out colors and pastels. My LF seems to be more about composition and lower color contrast. I lean more toward a monochromatic type representation in LF color.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    although I voted 'B&W most of the time' it's probably 98% of the time... I didn't count the camera I always have loaded with Slide film which is used for family snaps for slide nights, or the million rolls of colour print film my wife goes thru taking 99% baby snaps!! Every now and then I'll run a roll of colour (usually slides) though my Mamiya but basically I shoot B&W for the abstract qualities and the process itself... great to get away from the computer!

Images
    For "Art" photos I use B/W exclusively. I use anything from 35mm to 6X7 to 4X5 depending on what I have with me at the time. For paid portrait work I shoot about 75% color (Portra 400nc) in my RB, and 25% B/W in my RB or Nikon gear depending on the look I am going for. I would eventually like to make it 100% B/W but the people that hire me for portraits always want color and usually have to be talkd in to doing a roll of B/W for shits and giggles.

Brian
    hi!

My reason to use B&W is really simple. Being red/green color blind it is near impossible for me to get correct color balance in a color print. And the more I try the worse I make the situation.

I find that improving each print in mono is much more satisfying as I am gettting to where I want to go, rather than furstrating as I get further away from where I want to go in color.

And that doesn't even scratch the surface as to the different looks you can give your final print in B&W that just isn't there in RA4 with it's take it or leave it quailty.

B&W exclusivley. I will turn down work that I can't convince to go B&W.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find B&W more expressive for my own work. I find that when I shoot color, I tend toward monochromatic scenes anyway, though I do like Astia for portraits.

I have gone through long periods of shooting color transparencies exclusively, when I haven't had access to a darkroom.

Lately, I use color mostly for bird photos, because that is part of the information that I want to convey. I've tried some B&W for this, and I've seen some good B&W wildlife photography, but I just haven't made it work for me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    B/W wildlife has always seemed to me to be a vexing issue.

As far as I can figure, the biggest problem is that most predators are color-blind. Which means many animals are colored in such a way that they really blend in when shot in B/W.

Well, that is my theory at least.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I started to make photographs I have used B&W almost exclusively but since I started to play with digital I have exposed some colour transparency with a view to scanning to make colour prints. As digital has improved I have spent more time on the computer and aquired more kit, the latest being the new Epson 7600 printer and I have to say that the results are excellent. I have been converting colour slide film to B&W for some time and having seen the black and white prints from the 7600 I reckon that I'll be shooting more transparency film in the future. I will not be reducing the amount of black and white film I expose for I still feel that the darkroom with all that smelly chemistry is the love of my life.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin